Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any owner have a space saver for the new shape suzuki vitara allgrip 2015 on with 17'' wheels, if so could they let me know the wheel size and the tyre size?
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi GBG,

The space saver wheel is 16 inch. I can't remember the actual tyre size, Wife has gone to work so I can't look now. We bought one second hand, like brand new from a gentleman that used to own a 2015 Vitara. He had the foam insert as well. I bought a brand new genuine Suzuki jack off the famous auction site for half the price of a dealership. Altogether, I paid 130 quid for the lot. It fits in the wheel well perfectly and I wouldn't want to be without it, especially as 80 percent of our useage is motorway.

https://www.suzuki-shop.co.uk/GENUINE-SUZUKI-SPARE-WHEEL-KIT-VITARA-S-CROSS

I've just bought a few items from the store in the link above, oil, door kick plates, rubber mats. Great service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
space saver

Hi Frupi
Thanks for reply I bought one second hand and noted that it was on a 16 inch wheel I am hoping that the tyre size on yours is going to match the one on mine, so would really appreciate any further info from you regarding this.
Thanks again GBG

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Frupi
Thanks for reply I bought one second hand and noted that it was on a 16 inch wheel I am hoping that the tyre size on yours is going to match the one on mine, so would really appreciate any further info from you regarding this.
Thanks again GBG
I just managed to get a look now, tyre size is T135/90/d16. I'm assuming you've managed to source the correct jack for the car?

The part number for the jack is: 89913-55LV1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
space saver

Thanks for that Frupi.

That has confirmed I bought the right spare wheel, as that is the same tyre size. As for the jack I welded a plate, I made, onto an old bottle jack, because as you will know the jacking point is strange U shaped loop. I have tested it and found it to work safely. So at least I saved a little cash by using what I already have with the added advantage of little or no effort to raise the car. So now in the event of a puncture no problems with tyre fitters quoting all the problems of using the supplied gunge.

Thanks again GBG

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great link. I’ve got a SZ5 due in December but there’s a sale on the space saver this month so I ordered on Tuesday and it arrived yesterday. Came complete with the insert and jack for around £190 vs £300 from the dealer.

2 quick questions if I may.

Does it need to be balanced ?

Is the AllGrip sensitive to different rolling diameters - this can sometimes cause problems on 4x4s with the diffs or traction systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
space saver

Hi BarnsleyRob
I would have thought the tyre fitter would balance when fitting the tyre to rim.
As for the 4x4 side to your question I would imagine that prolonged use would almost certainly damage drive shafts or 4x4 gearbox /diff or all. As it is only for temporary use and rated to 50/mph (which I would not be keen to do with one fitted) if carefully used for the correct purpose, I would be happy to use. However you may wish to check with your dealer
Regards GBG

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi GBG,

I bought online at Suzuki-Shop and there are no weights attached to the rim. Did you get yours balanced (or does it have weights on) ?

I will almost certainly forget to ask the dealer as it’s 8 weeks or so until delivery. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure. My Discovery couldn’t have cared less if the wheels came off an ox cart but the BMW was very sensitive, even down to uneven tyre wear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
space saver

Hi BarnsleyRob

Mine has no weights attached but as I said the speed will be kept to min and duration as short as possible should be able to drive above or below balance point.

Hopefully someone on the forum will be able to provide answer to traction control etc (I know I would also like to find out)

One thing I am fairly sure will happen is the tyre pressure monitoring system will detect and warn you with the central display glowing amber as it will not be able to detect tyre pressure and thereby consider tyre to be flat.
Regards GBG

·
Registered
282 Posts
GBG,

Good point, I’d forgotten about TPMS. Hopefully that will curb my right foot a bit - but probably not by much ! The wife is even worse, she wants me to buy a full size alloy.

Cheers,

Rob.

PS. Do you use winter tyres up there in Perth or stick to the standard fit ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
space saver

Hi BarnsleyRob
I previously had an Antara and even in the snow / ice never got stuck even with standard road tyres fitted and it was fully automatic 4X4 with no option to select and lock. So I would hope that the Vitara with these options should not need any winter tyres. I did (the year before changing car) fit crossover tyres half width mud tread half width road tread (cant remember the make) however these were noisy and the only tyres that I did manage to get stuck with in marshy ground mainly due the fact that the Antara as I said only engaged 4X4 when slip was detected, ending in 2 then 4 perfectly formed holes till car reached cills. Before anyone reading this thread states the obvious that no soft roader 4X4 car should be in such conditions it was fine even grass till unexpected torrential downpour and several other vehicles churning it up prior to me trying to go through it and incidentally a Landy also got stuck but it did eventually churn itself out.
regards GBG

·
Registered
282 Posts
GBG,

I live on a short but steep hill which is a bit of a nightmare even with half a dozen of us pitching in to keep it as clear as we can.

When I moved in, I had a Freelander which managed just fine on standard tyres. Then I swapped to a Jaguar XF, with predictable consequences and some enjoyable snow days. After that, the Discovery which was great except it slid backwards just once, so I had to change the settings to Mud and Snow for about 5 seconds ! The only other time the dial got exercised (and definitely the low range) would have been if they checked it as part of the service.

The X5 changed all that. It’s fully automatic 4x4 system probably works well but the tyres are so wide that it squeezed all the moisture out of the snow and then skittered all over on the now polished ice it left behind. Winter wheels and tyres made it more compliant but just a pain having to trek to the dealer twice a year. Having said that, it made it up to Perth during some pretty dismal winter weather which surprised the friends we were visiting.

But, as I constantly tell my missus, 4x4 just gets stupid people moving. Nothing will make it stop other than the right rubber.

The great thing with the Vitara is its low weight and having the centre diff lock. Hopefully, the HDC helps a bit too, although I don’t think the speed can be varied from what I’ve read.

Cheers,

Rob.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi GBG,

I bought online at Suzuki-Shop and there are no weights attached to the rim. Did you get yours balanced (or does it have weights on) ?

I will almost certainly forget to ask the dealer as it’s 8 weeks or so until delivery. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure. My Discovery couldn’t have cared less if the wheels came off an ox cart but the BMW was very sensitive, even down to uneven tyre wear.
Our space saver has no balance weights either. I'm not entirely sure whether space saver wheels are balanced anyway......

One thing is for sure, I'm not bothering to buy a full size alloy. We like the false floor space for stuff like the air compressor, extendable wheel nut wrench, first aid kit, large AA map, umbrella, spare bulb kit, car blanket :grin: we have no intention of losing that space for the sake of a full size wheel.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Space savers are not balanced. They are for SHORT DURATION use only, like to get you to a tyre repair shop, not to be driven round on for days.
They usually don't cause many issues altho if there is a big size imbalance, then traction control, ESP and ABS can be affected. low speed use only, like absolute max of 50 mph, and even thats 20 mph too much in my opinion. Your cornering and ride WILL be affected.

They are a "get you home" emergency wheel. As long as you remember that and treat them as such, you will be fine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
GV,

Yes, I know they have significant limitations but the reality is that when I do take it out of the garage, it tends to be to visit relatives/friends who are 150 miles away and we usually travel back at night or public holidays when tyres are in short supply, more so these days when most places rely on intraday deliveries rather than holding stock.

Sod’s law says the puncture will be late at night, half way between wherever I was and home. It’ll also be on a motorway :eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't taken the time to weigh the space saver, but I'm guessing it'll probably weigh a bit less than a full size alloy.

I absolutely get what you mean though Rob. My own family live about 240 miles away from me and we still visit them frequently. I'd still rather have some form of spare wheel than none at all. I can hack the inconvenience of a longer journey home if necessary restricted to just 50mph. Better than being stuck at the side of the road half the night or trusting yourself to a can of tyre sealant.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Frupi,

Exactly that.

I’m properly vulnerable in my MX-5 because although it was sold as “used approved” the sealant was 2 years out of date. I’ve got that sorted but would prefer a spare of sorts. Problem is, you can get a space saver that’ll do the job but there’s nowhere to put the original wheel because it’s too big for the boot and the missus refuses to have a dirty tyre on her party dress !

In this case, I’m going to get some of the rubber repair plugs and have a practice with an old carcass before I need to do it for real.

Rob.

Incidentally, which model do you drive ? I was quite encouraged by your Fuelly banner. I may see that sort of mpg while I’m running in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We used to own an MX5 ourselves once upon a time, a 2003 model. That had a space saver which never once was mounted. We had the car for seven years!

·
Registered
282 Posts
My midlife crisis. I bought a Daihatsu Copen last year and sorted it completely but the MX-5 is a much more sorted car, particularly with the folding hardtop.

Which Vitara are you running ?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
GV,

Sod’s law says the puncture will be late at night, half way between wherever I was and home. It’ll also be on a motorway :eek:
oh yeah, we know that situation all too well. Guaranteed it will be raining as well and the light won't be working where you pull over (if there is one) Blame that person from the emerald isle for that hahahah.

Just be careful on the space savers, they do explode if run too fast as they will get hot very quickly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts