Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just got the new Vitara with the MirrorLink "ready"(ha!) Infotainment System.

Anyone have tried this/have this ? To be honest it a pile of sh... Well, maybe not, but so many bugs/limitations/ect. And no one can tell me if there will be a fw update. This is the official site. http://www.suzuki-slda.com/

And it looks like it's Bosch Oem(Bosch Open Source Software)

I would very much like to find some one who knows this system. The dealer and distributor are clueless.

Thanks :) (Even when you read this and it might be an old message:)

/Mads

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's generally acknowledged that 'as supplied' infotainment packages are extremely expensive, rarely updated, and have limited functionality compared to say, an Android head unit or even a $100 Chinese tablet.

Also, it's rare that one adds value to the secondhand price of the car when selling, unless it's an upmarket vehicle like an Aston Martin or a Jag.

You said "To be honest it a pile of..."

This isn't helpful because you don't describe what the problems are. Why not post some pics and descriptions?

Generally, if the head unit has Bluetooth audio playback and handsfree, drivers can get most of the functions they want from a smartphone with a data feed. The exception is a 7" map display, but many of us get by with $70 5" Garmin.

I have one of these in the GV, with steering wheel controls. £120.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree with you. Unfortunate the unit was included in the "feature pack" I choose for the car. And I did expect it to work:( My plan is now to get an Android 7" unit. Good value for money and I can tweak it so it fits my need.
But would be nice if it worked as expected.

A few of the bugs/features..(Pictures inbound!!)

Message Windows outside of screen.
"Safety Features" that can't be disabled. Handbreak needs to be pulled when using MirroLink and Navigation Typing.
MirrorLink exits at random and can't be used while driving(see above)
Navigation windows have top 1/3 with info, lower 1/3 some other info. So map is really only clear in the middle 1/3. Can't change that.
Can't use navigator while driving if I need to type address even if passager is doing the typing. But I can use the phone and dial and type numbers.

This is just from the top of my head.

Going from a Grand Vitara where I did install and Android unit. So this is kind of a major step down. I had hoped that the MirrorLink feature at least would allow me to use some of the functionality from my Android phone(Sony Z3). But noooooo!

So if I can't get any working fw I will replace it..

Next question, since it's a new production car, I can't find the tech manual. And I am having trouble removing the covers/bezel's/ect. Most of the time it's all about the right amount of force to pop it off. Or even a few screws before that. But I simply can't figure it ut. Might need to get the dealer to help me there(and hurt my pride:)

/M

All "native" message windows starts outside screen.

"Random" MirrorLink Disconnect.

And the winner. You can't access MirrorLink while driving.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, those seem enough reasons to install Android or similar, thanks for posting. :-(

I imagine that in six months or so YouTube will have plenty of Russian videos on pulling out the OEM radio and fitting an Android tablet.

I've just checked the UK site and the same head unit is fitted to base +1 and base +2 versions of the Vitara.

Do keep us posted if you manage to get the head unit out. I imaging the steering wheel controls will be much the same electronics as the Swift, but as yet, have no evidence for this.

On the upside you do have a new text message from Anita. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update:

Found 2 popout plastic screws beneath the AC.

AC & Hazard panel pops out fairly easy. But headunit not so much. Been trying with the normal pry tools. I might need to apply more force, but before I do that any ideas ? I might have missed something ? It's feels like it's locked with the upper gray panel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I imagine the screws are behind the horizontal silver trim at the top of the unit.

But please don't pull it off and yell at me if the tabs break. :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats my point:)

I would expect the panel covering the head unit to pop out like the rest and the head unit just screwed in place like normal. But no tech manual and not done it on this model before. I get very very carefull.
I have also tried to see if i could remove the silver panel, but can't get any tools into it. Well I can, but nothing gives.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
What version of software are you running? the Bosch site shows 811 or 820 as the latest versions. Have you tried calibrating the touch screen?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Have you checked that your phone is compatible?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So progress:) Lifting the AC/Hazard made enough room to pry and pop the first few cm and the rest was easy.

So 2 "locks" on top and behind the unit that still gives me problems. When I figure them out, I should be able to remove all 3 units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So finally got the Navigator/Radio out. Was not that hard as expected. AC could be pop'ed separately. And then removed to top screws and pulled the rest, firmly but slowly.

So next question:)

Who can help me identify all the connectors, and the name/part info. If/When I need to buy adaptors for new radio.

Blue = GPS ?
Gray = FM Antenna ?
White =(Unused)
Gray =
Green =
Brown =
White =
ISO/Black = Honda Blue Connector ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whoa!

That looks impressive. I think your first job is to search for a fascia adaptor for the new radio. As the car is so new that may be a problem.

The next search is for a wiring harness to accept the existing connectors, unless you're going to individually ID and connect each connector.

Connects2 do a part no: CT23SZ13 fascia adaptor. Does it look like it fits?

Link (UK)

But what a price!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GOOD FINDE !! Have been looking for that and yes, looks like a perfect match.

But think I should be able to remove the old unit from the adaptor. It's screwed into the adaptor. Else I have the other pricy or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Who can help me identify all the connectors, and the name/part info. If/When I need to buy adaptors for new radio.

Blue = GPS ?
Gray = FM Antenna ?
White =(Unused)
Gray =
Green =
Brown =
White =
ISO/Black = Honda Blue Connector ?
The connectors (not colours) are very similar to Toyota Navigation units,this may be of help......

2003 Toyota 4Runner Navigation Screen / Head Unit Connections, Connectors, & Pins

As well as the CT23SZ13 fascia adaptor Tappet posted there is also a more complex kit Part No. CTKSZ08, full details here....

Karl

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Vitara 2015 - Petrol Engine

I am buying a new Vitara with petrol engine.
Question: Is it recommendable that I drive the car "gently" for the first couple of hundreds kilometers?
May years ago we were told that brand new motors need some time to adjust,
and that they shouldn't be "worked hard".

Maybe this "theory" is not valid any more?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Regards
Ziggy :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts