Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, Hello. New to the forum and other than my welcome post this is my first so please be gentle.

I've jsut bought my first Suzuki :banana:

Its an 07 3dr Grand Vitara in Silver and I'm really pleased with. However can some one explain (in detail ideally) the 4WD controls?

So like where does the dial need to be for regular road driving?
Is it constant 4WD or does it automactically switch when slipping etc.?
Can you manually switch between 4 and 2wd
whats the N for?
Can you change in motion or do you need to be stationary?
when disinguaging do i need to reverse to do so?
and any other tips of do's and don't's to do with 4WD

This is my first 4WD so know vbery little or nothing about them. Apart from my day job I am also a part time game keeper so some light off roading with be oartaken at times.

Thank you in advance

Col

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Col,

4H, (where the dial is now), is for normal driving.

4HLock can be engaged at any time, up to 100kph.
This locks the centre diff which gives a more 50/50 split between front and rear wheels.

4LLock must be engaged at a complete stop. This gives same drive split and locked diff, but with reduced gearing for hill climbing, going slow etc.

When moving the control from 4L back to 4HL or 4H, the vehicle must be completely stopped.

N is used to disengage the transfer case completely, so the vehicle can be towed behind another vehicle, ie. the vehicle cannot be driven/broken down, etc.
Traction control is another feature our vehicles have, and is covered elsewhere on this forum.

That's it in a nutshell, but others may go into depth a bit more for you.
I take it you have no owners manual?

Go have fun :)

·
Super Moderator
13,764 Posts
The "Lock" positions should NOT be used on a hard surface or the drive train can be damaged.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Can you change in motion or do you need to be stationary?
when disinguaging do i need to reverse to do so?
and any other tips of do's and don't's to do with 4WD
For settings other than 4H > 4HL (and back,) after turning the knob the change will not take place until you meet the conditions per the instructions on the dash readout, which normally requires stopping and shifting into neutral (on the transmission shifter.)

I am also a part time game keeper so some light off roading with be oartaken at times.
I think you'll find that the normal road position 4H will handle most if not all your requirements without any change. This is one of the advantages of the full-time 4WD system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts