Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 SX4 Sportback, FWD, 2.0L engine, automatic transmission, 51k miles.

Here's my problem: the car vibrates, hard enough to shake the empty passenger seat (I can see it vibrating if I watch the headrest), when it's stopped and in drive. If I shift to neutral, it idles smoothly. Also, if I turn the wheel, the car feels like it's going to stall (idle shudders, kind of like if you're in a manual car and you slow down too much in a high gear).

It's still under powertrain warranty, so I took it in and they changed out the engine mounts, but the problem is still there. The service adviser is stumped; he said he has no idea what the problem is.

Here's the thing...I saw another thread about this, and the answers were that this behavior is normal for the CVT and not to worry about it. I don't think that really explains the behavior with turning the wheel making it idle hard.

Any thoughts? I just bought this car, so I don't really have any experience with Suzuki at all. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
996 Posts
CVT has nothing to do with that "when stopped anmd in gear".
2011 and 51kmiles is not much...but anyway I'd suspect an injector or a spark plug. Easy things first.
A spark plug would normally throw a code...

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it's a plug or coil, I wonder if you could pull one at a time (wire only) while it's running rough to see which one does not make it worse and that's the culprit. My 2011 idles a bit slow so there is a slight vibration at idle in gear, but it sounds like yours is much worse than normal.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well......just because you triggered the attention on the subject, to-day I did notice some vibration in the exact condition you describe....but it never came to my mind that it was abnormal and practically, I never paid attention to that to the point that in my mind, it was non existent.
So....it might be a matter of intensity..but in my case, I'd say..normal for a four banger that idles at a low rpm when in gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has this vibration too

So one day what I did was put a rock under the front tire, pull the e-brake, leave the car in drive and take a look at the rear muffler to see what was vibrating.

It's the rear muffler, apparently, the way the exhaust pipes are built and connected causes the rear part of the exhaust to vibrate resonate at the engine's idle vibration frequency.

At the same time I noticed that the muffler's rubber mounts were of a really soft rubber, so I went to my auto parts store and their generic rubber mount was much harder, so I replaced it and the noise went away.

One year later (last week), I noticed the noise again, and now I don't know what to do.

I looked to see if the vibration at the rear mufler was because of any other hangers damaged/bent or rubber mounts damaged/missing and everything looks ok.

Also, I noticed that there is no significant movement at the middle section of the exhaust, only at the rear muffler and exhaust tip, and from the looks of it, the vibration at the rear muffler is from a torsional vibration coming through the exhaust (longitudinally), and that's why this vibration is not apparent in the middle section of the exhaust.

I'm afraid that restricting the movement too much to get rid of the noise (which only occurs when stopped, at idle, in gear) may cause some of other part of the exhaust to crack or develop a leak...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts