Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I performed a spoa on my jimny Sierra a year ago and noticed some vibration in 4hi and low. I have since put in a 1.6 16v with no change to the vibration.
Recently I have put in some 4.9's in my tcase. Now
The vibration is much more apparent. Maybe just cause of higher rpm.
It's fine in 2wd but horrible in 4wd.
I made sure I lined up the marks on my shafts.

I was thinking it may be drive shaft angles. Has anyone bothered to shim out your front diff? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you shim the front diff the steering geometry will suffer.

At what speeds does this become a problem?

Are your transfer case mounts stock? What condition are they in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi CJ955 thanks for the reply,

Looks as if we have a very similar engine setup. right down to the thorley! however I may have forgot a Cat.....!

Slight Vibration starts at about 15mph and gets nasty around 30mph.
I also forgot to mention that I have the High steer kit on it as well. So I may avoid any steering issues with diff shims?

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
Do you really need to be in 4WD at 30 MPH? :huh:

I would think that you'd only have to pull yourself out of any problem spot at less than 15 MPH, no?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you are right Max! but I like it to work properly! 30mph is when it starts to get really bad, it still is apparent at lower speeds.
I do use 4wd on snowy mountain highways! Canadian eh?!
happy 9000th post BTW

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
9K. Holy crap! Spread over 7 years though. :rolleyes:

Can you feel the vibe in the steering wheel? I would think so IF the front shaft is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
The thing about drive-line changes like yours is not just the drive-line ANGLE needing to be maintained from 1-3 degrees in difference, but you also created a longer drive-shaft requirement. You pulled the spline joint out more, in other words and may have created a less than appropriate "bite" and now a joint wobble.

That and you added a new "U" joint burden, which may have been tolerable before but now requires joint replacement, due to age / wear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't feel to much vibe in the steering wheel, it resonates through the whole body.
I did use a 1' spacer on both front and rear diffs, and it seems there is ample "bite" I measured 3 inches with rear wheels off the ground.
It may be noteworthy that there is less vibe in 2wd with the hubs locked and the shaft spinning. I have not checked my U-joints, how would I do that?

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
Spacers. Good! ;)

Checking the U joints means pulling the drive shafts and moving the joints through their arc, feeling for a sloppy (worn) fit OR binding.

If the driveline angles are OK and the u-joints check out, you may have to get the driveshafts evaluated for trueness and balance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn.. i did try that out when I had them off last weekend...seemed fine.... Im stuck on this one.... maybe I chucked a weight off my shaft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts