Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel vibrates (significantly) only when stopped at a red light/stop sign, when I put it in neutral it goes away, and it doesnt't vibrate while I'm driving.... Any one know what could be causing this?:confused: I took it to the chev dealership and they tightned the engine mounts and said the vibrating was normal in Optras...It's annoying and I'd like to figure out why It's happening

·
Registered
396 Posts
in what way does it vibrate? does it vibrate side to side like your turning the wheel back and forth very fast or does it vibrate in and out (telescoping)?

these two are typical of braking issues, tire issues or suspensoin issues.

if it was the motor or tranny vibrating you would feel it more in the seat than the wheel.

an engine or tranny issue would be noticable always at idle with little to no load on the power train.

a brake, tire or suspensoin issue would come up when braking.

Garrett

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It vibrates only at idle, again it goes away when I put it in neutral or drive the car. As for the kind of vibration I haven't noticed the direction in which it vibrates. It is kind of like a shaking sensation in the wheel... I hope this info helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2004 automatic, with 50,000kms. Does any one else have this problem or is it only me...Also what is the 'hold' button for exactly, I don't use I'm too worried I'm going to break the car haha

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know what it is, it would be hard for me to say just by the info and not looking at the car, mainly because I'm not an expert with these cars yet. I have a manual and with 11400 miles on it, the reason I say this is my rotors are already warped so when I brake hard I get an insane amount of vibration. I have not taken it to the dealer yet because of time, but I bought the car because it was cheap, so I knew when i bought it that parts might fail quickly.
But anyways good luck with yours.
also, In the manual (which no one reads) the hold button lets you hold the car in a certain gear, for traction and towing I think is what it said, I only glanced over that part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had the fluid drained and replaced recentely with four new cooler lines (i think lol) because I had a leak from one the hoses before. So there might be an issue with my transmission?,.. Hopefully it will be covered under the power train. As for not reading the manual mine is in french so its of no use to me lol.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the shop that did the service might not have used the correct fluid. I've seen that a lot with the Jetta/Golf 3's. they take a specific fluid that you have to get from VW, if you use anything else you will have trouble.

...they may have just not added enough after the service, check the level again.

...did the dealer do the service?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wasn't calling you out for not reading it, hell i hardly read any manuals for anything i buy. and that sucks it in french.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
the hold button: when going up hills the reno/forenza trans can "hunt" for the right gear to be in, causing the trans to change gears constantly. the hold button prevents gear hunting by making the trans stay in gear longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't check the level cause there is no dip stick, yea the Chev dealership did all the repairs. I'm going to take it in some time next week see whats wrong with it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so no one knows?...Does any one here actually like their car? I'm not impressed, after I'm done paying it off I will definitely go back to buying Ford.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the hold feature for me, holds the auto tranny in the highest gear possible at all times. I know for me it's like a "poor man's traction control". Keeps the wheels from slipping in the winter in snow.

I don't know about it helping you climb hills.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
driving in snow you should try d1,2,3 works like a charm. right it holds the gear hense "hold" button. it doesnt help you climb hills it stops the trans from hunting gears when climing hills and can help prevent the premature death of the trans due to unessisary over shifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well the way i am i read the owner's manual from front to back for the hell of it. the hold button when pressed down does stop the car from manually downshifting as often. think of it as taking overdrive off. also when the button is pressed down you can drive the car like a stick shift. only down side i've seen to using the hold button a lot is that you have a tendenicy to burn more gas, but that varies on how u use it. also imo driving the auto forenza as a stick shift gives you a bit more power in the lower speeds, but not really worth it at higher speeds. like 0-80 mph is faster, after that its a waste of gas.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just had the fluid drained and replaced recentely with four new cooler lines (i think lol) because I had a leak from one the hoses before. So there might be an issue with my transmission?,.. Hopefully it will be covered under the power train. As for not reading the manual mine is in french so its of no use to me lol.
If you need help translating something in french just let me know. Ill be happy to help out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
had an alignment lately? sometimes when your alignment is off your steering wheel will shake and vibrate... either that or its your motor...if its nothing serious with the motor, then buy some motor mount inserts...if they make them for forenza...they should cut down on the vibrating of your motor, but i must warn you they will cause the rest of your to really shake, but not in a bad way... or a strut bar will do as well...all of these things can be found on ebay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts