Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 Samurai revs up very high upon starting, and keeps revving high for a few minutes. Check engine light comes on, goes away when I touch gas, but engine continues revving high and finally dies back to normal. This is very annoying. My mechanic has cleaned in there several times, with minor improvement but he doesn't seem to be able to fix it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The TBI supplement from .:Suzuki Download Archive:. will have the troubleshooting guide that you need.

You will need to insert a fuse into the diagnostic slot in the fuse panel to put the ECM into diagnostic mode. This will cause the CEL (check engine light) to flash. If it is pulsing 1-2, then no fault is detected. If it is flashing any other codes, then an error has been detected. It might only happen when cold and during the high-revving period, so make sure that you check then.

Do you have tach? Was wondering what you call high rpms and 2k is not too unusual for initial start up when real cold, but it normally only lasts 20 seconds or so on my'91.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a tach, but it sounds like it's running at the top of its range. My mechanic cleans it, he says, and it's better for a little while but soon is back to full blast at starting, especially when it's cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts