Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

my driver side caliper is acting so weird.

it sticks, i have greased the pins and the pads, it didn't help.

i have the car jacked up, so i turned it on to test out my work and found that, when i slightly depress the brake pedal, the caliper frees up from the rotor and the wheel spins fine, however, at some point, the passenger side wheel will then be braked and stop spinning, leaving the driver side wheel spinning freely, when i let go of the brake, the situation reverses and the passenger wheel spins freely while the drivers wheel is acting as though brakes are applied.

not sure what to do about this at all.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
That would be the ABS or traction control working...

... Philip
Actually this will be how the ABS will work if car is jacked up and in gear.

But, its not right when jacked up with engine not running in gear then this sounds like the ABS might not working properly and holding a caliper on.
I have had one do this and lock the left rear on.

with the front jacked up engine off, ignition off, do the wheels turn freely?

what does it do with engine idling? wheels still turn free?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is no free movement in either mode, engine on, engine off, neutral idle or in gear spinning. 2 years ago the same caliper locked up, i serviced it, it ran great, until some months ago i got this annoying squeak that i assumed was a rock in the pads, but it would go away if i applied slight pressure to the brake pedal, there was no rock, it is this weird issue. thanks for helping.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
there is no free movement in either mode, engine on, engine off, neutral idle or in gear spinning. 2 years ago the same caliper locked up, i serviced it, it ran great, until some months ago i got this annoying squeak that i assumed was a rock in the pads, but it would go away if i applied slight pressure to the brake pedal, there was no rock, it is this weird issue. thanks for helping.
so, just this wheel? or all of them? what happens if you crack the bleed nipple on the caliper? jet of fluid? or just an ooze?

I'm trying to determine if the ABS is holding pressure on this wheel or not.

if you crack the bleed loose, does the wheel then turn or not?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, just this wheel? or all of them? what happens if you crack the bleed nipple on the caliper? jet of fluid? or just an ooze?

I'm trying to determine if the ABS is holding pressure on this wheel or not.

if you crack the bleed loose, does the wheel then turn or not?
it's just that wheel, front driver side.
if i crack the bleeder is just oozes and it doesn't free up the wheel.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
it's just that wheel, front driver side.
if i crack the bleeder is just oozes and it doesn't free up the wheel.
ok, that points to a seized caliper piston. Time to take it off and check whats wrong.

old mechanics trick, fill master cylinder almost to the brim, place a piece of heavy plastic across the top big enough to screw the cap over, that seals the cylinder so the fluid wont run out as fast, gives you time to get the hose off and capped (i use a piece of plastic and a strong rubber band to create a "cap" on the hose. It will fill with fluid, but at least you won't lose all the fluid and have to fully bleed the system when you put it back together hopefully. Bleeding ABS units is a pain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya... it's true, seized caliper piston.

it's working now.

what i did was to grease all the pins and the housing for the pads, then i freed up the piston by depressing it with a c clamp, i did not go through the trouble of removing it, bleeding the line, checking for gunk, cleaning it all and putting it back together, as i am busy, it appearantly wasn't necessary, i imagine it will seize up some miles away and i will do the same thing, it seems to just be from age and weather.

thanks for the help, i appreciate being able to bounce ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
old mechanics trick, fill master cylinder almost to the brim, place a piece of heavy plastic across the top big enough to screw the cap over, that seals the cylinder so the fluid wont run out as fast,.
just so you know, what i do, also effective, is to get a vice grip and a piece of cardboard, fold the brakeline in half, put the cardboard over it and then clamp it down, this effectively pinches the line and nothing bleeds out...

p.s.

i noticed the rubber nipple on top of the bleeder cap has two very tiny holes in it, which i don't think is by design.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
just so you know, what i do, also effective, is to get a vice grip and a piece of cardboard, fold the brakeline in half, put the cardboard over it and then clamp it down, this effectively pinches the line and nothing bleeds out...

p.s.

i noticed the rubber nipple on top of the bleeder cap has two very tiny holes in it, which i don't think is by design.
and this method runs the very real risk of splitting the inside of the hose leading to more issues later. Not recommended. Even the round "line clamps" can cause issues, but they are less likely to do as much damages as folding the hose and clamping it.

and no, the cap shouldn't have any holes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts