Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owners of my Samurai added a mechanical fuel pump, and mounted it to the top of the engine using a valve cover bolt. I have not had any issues until last week, after about a 45 minute drive, I let the car sit for 20-30 min then it started and ran for about 200 yards, then died, and could not restart (sounded like it was out of gas) for another 30-45 minutes, then ran great. Drove for about an hour then stopped, 20 min break then it started, ran for about 100 yards, then died, and would not restart for like 3 days, once again sounding like I was out of gas. Any ideas?

Note: I have some overheating issues - thermostat gets up to almost parallel with the ground, no higher though. I also replaced the fuel filter since the issues to eliminate that possibility.

·
Super Moderator
12,459 Posts
With the pump position there - vapor lock is a distinct possibility - I'd suggest it be relocated to the rear, closer to the tank maybe on a frame rail.

Vapor lock occurs when the fuel in the line on the suction side of the pump vaporizes so that the pump is "sucking" fumes rather than fuel - every thing is fine, until you switch off, the heat rises, fuel evaporates, and when you restart, the pump is unable to pull fuel, so the engine runs until what's in the carb float bowl is finished, and then dies.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Most electric fuel pumps need to be mounted much lower, generally with 12" of the bottom of the tank, they are designed to push fuel and not to pull it. I would check the coolant temperature with a temperature sensor, if it is running high then flushing the system would be a good start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts