Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After spending numerous hours enjoying suzuki-forums.com, I realized I should get involved. You all have provided me with a ton of useful information. Thank you.

As the title of this thread states, I recently had our timing belt break on the family 2006 Forenza Wagon. Fixing the timing belt is well within my realm of expertise but I want to be sure that the valves haven't been damaged. In searching the forum and web I understand that the engine is an interference engine but haven't found a fool proof way to identify if the valves have been damaged. I was hoping that it is simple enough to pull the cylinder head assembly and inspect each of the valves. Are there any suggestions that one would recommend in accomplishing this task.

Thanks in advance,

CScotP

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Pulling the cylinder head is the most reliable way to check the valves, fill the combustion chamber with some fluid and see if it leaks through to the ports. You could fit the belt and then check the valve clearance, if any of the valves are bent then the gap will have opened up.

·
Super Moderator
12,258 Posts
A leak down test or a compression test (after replacing the belt) can be done without removing the head - how lucky do you feel?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Suzuki Reno Timing Belt failure

I lost the bearing in one of the idlers and lost tension on the belt. Went out of timing and pulled the spark plugs and 3 are damaged at the tip some type of contact. I could use a little guidance here. I am assuming I need to pull the head?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi
The contact you speak of would probably be with the piston. Simply put what happens when the belt brakes is the timing goes out. When the piston goes down the intake valves open and Air is drawn into the cylinder then as the piston rises the valves close then there is ignition pushing the piston down as it comes up again while the exhaust valves open to let the gas out and the whole thing starts again. So the belt brakes, timing between the pistons and valves is off, the intake valves open to let air into the cylinder then the piston rises before the valves have a chance to close and they make contact bending the valves and possibly damagng the piston. So the safe thing, don’t put a belt on and try to start the engine. If something is off you’ll just make it worse. My suggestion is this; have the head pulled and checked. The only way to be sure everything is ok is to take the head off. And since your already there, have new pulleys, water pump, tensioner, and everything installed and do the whole timing belt service. Any other questions just ask

1 - 5 of 5 Posts