Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
This is my first posting on this forum, but I am hoping that the community will be able to assist?
I run a W reg Jimny in the UK which has 40k miles on the clock. Over the last month I spotted small pools of oil on the driveway and linked tis to the front drivers side knuckle joint which was very wet (as was the wheel rim). The local garage has repaired it today and replaced the knuckle joint seal, but the garage commented that the ball was exceptionally pitted and this was causing the seal to wear quickly. Interestingly the passengers side is still very smooth.
The sting in the tail is that the garage has informed me that to replace the knuckle joint invlves replacing the whole front axle and its ancillary components and have quoted c£1,000?
I noticed the posting further down titled Newbie Help required - front axle. This has a picture of the front axle stripped down in such a way that I assume the knuckle can be replaced on one side?
Should I be worrying about a £1000 bill or is this an easy fix ??
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Although the steering side of the knuckle can be removed, the ball side is part of the axle housing. The ball could be replaced, but that would involve cutting one off another axle housing. Better (and cheaper) to just replace the housing, as the ball is not available as a seperate part.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The cost really depends on what you have available to you. Here, I can hit the local junkyard and find a straight axle in good condition for about $150 US. I do all my own work so unless I am replacing all the seals and bearings then that is all I pay. If you have a shop do it, it will cost you more. But yes, you are going to replace at least the housing. You will have to balance the cost of a complete axle with the cost (labor) of swapping all the parts from one axle to the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts