Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

All in all, the Ignis is a good value, easy to drive, practical and cheap to own package, which is also stylish, contemporary and characterful. All those qualities apply whether new or used, making the Suzuki Ignis a second-hand option that’s definitely worth considering.

I suspect this might turn into a "spot the mistakes" topic! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: [ EDIT - it did!]

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"There’s a battery under the back seat that’s kept charged by regenerative brakes." - WRONG !!!

It's under the front passenger seat!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Trim levels for the 2016 Ignis ran from the SZ3 entry model, through SZ-T, Adventure and SZ5. All grades above the SZ3 feature alloy wheels and touchscreen navigation, plus parking sensors, rear-view camera and sliding 50:50-split rear seats. 4x4 is only available in range-topping SZ5 trim, but the front-wheel-drive-only Adventure looks the part with an added spoiler and front and rear skid plates." - NOT FULLY CORRECT!!!

The Adventure was a special edition not available throughout the 2016-2020 Ignis production cycle.

Only the SZ5 has touchscreen navigation as standard - the SZ-T and Adventure only have it through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

None of the trim levels include parking sensors.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The 2020 update also brought a modified grille while the hybrid system was enhanced with more power and became standard across all models." - NOT FULLY CORRECT!!!

The hybrid system became standard shortly BEFORE the 2020 model change - and it's a bit more altered than "a modified grille".

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Integrated Starter Generator Belt - Some early hybrid versions had a sub-standard generator belt fitted, which could fail when driving. This would knock the cooling water pump out of action and kill the charging circuit. All affected belts should have been replaced as part of a recall but it’s worth checking."

Interesting - not heard that one before!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Rear shock absorbers - Owners reported early cars could ‘bang and clatter’ over bumps, especially if heavily laden, and Suzuki introduced a rear suspension upgrade around 2018. It involved replacing the rear shock absorbers with improved items, typically under warranty. The new standard shocks can be retrofitted to older cars if there’s a problem.." - NEARLY CORRECT!

Some people have reported having the fronts changed as well as part of the rectification works.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Suzuki recommends the Ignis is serviced once a year or every 12,500 miles, and if you own a car older than three years you can sign-up for an inclusive plan for two or three years starting at £13.50 per month. Otherwise a minor service is £129, an interim service £199 and a major service £279. You don’t have to use a Suzuki dealer for servicing, but if you do you’ll qualify for a free year’s Suzuki Assistance which includes AA roadside cover and Homestart. A £49 upgrade adds roadside recovery and hire car cover." - SOME ISSUES!

That's news to me about the 3+ year old service plan - not seen that anywhere before. I have a three-year Suzuki service plan purchased when the car was new.

Servicing costs are incorrect - they vary significantly from dealer to dealer - sometimes by as much as double!

You DON'T get a free year's Suzuki assistance with a Suzuki dealer service. You get one year if purchased new and have to renew at cost subsequently. However I have taken out a two-year extension because to be frank it was very reasonably priced!

(I concede something may have changed in the recent past in this respect - I'm using mid-2018 experience here.)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"There have been only two Ignis recalls to date. The first concerns the Generator Belt mentioned above, while the second is for an Engine Control Module that may cause the Stop Start system to fail. This may also lead to battery charge failure causing the engine to stall."

As I've noted above the first issue is news to me.

I think the second one is too?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Verdict - The Suzuki Ignis is a great value used buy, and it certainly has a lot to offer in terms of character, practicality and low running costs. It’s not without its flaws though, and in particular the driving experience isn’t particularly sporty. The Ignis leans a fair amount if you corner it quickly, and the steering feels a bit vague. The ride is less composed than quite a few rivals and noise levels less subdued too, so the Ignis is not necessarily the best bet if you spend hours in the car on taxing journeys. However, if you’re looking for something to tackle the urban jungle, or narrow country lanes, then the little Suzuki’s compact dimensions, easy manoeuvrability and nippy drivetrain could make it the perfect choice."

I have to say I'd rate it more highly than that. I find the driving experience good - it's easy to place the car, the light weight means it changes direction quickly and with aplomb, and I don't find the steering particularly "vague" at all! The ride is certainly not cossetting I'll grant you, but the small overall wheel size doesn't help here, but I don't find it particularly noisy, and certainly cruising on a motorway journey is pretty serene.

I said I'd replace mine when three years are up in June, but I'm dithering at present! What would be better?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No mention of the less powerful engine on the 2020 on model

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am very pleased with my 2017 Szt purchased last july. It drives well, is quite refined (apart from a rattle from the passenger seat when occupied and another from the front brake callipers) I was getting 68.8 mpg until the weather turned cold, now nearer 64, poss due to needing aircon constantly to stop it steaming up. (its kept undercover so I dont think it leaks) Its nice to drive, now I have fitted a sz5 leather steering wheel, essential to my mind, and have just had a full set of Goodyear 185.55.16 efficient grip tyres fitted, which may hopefully improve the somewhat harsh ride. Yet to be tried due to 'Stay at Home'. My only other fitment is a fullsize spare and a scissor jack which is currently awaiting some velcro to stop it sliding around the boot, also essential for peace of mind. Though I must confess to not having had a flat for at least 10yrs. The engine is a jem, with plenty of go if needed. Hasnt used a drop of oil in 8000mls and is very refined and smooth. Hope this will help anyone considering the purchase of this spacious and easy to see out of and to place tardis. Oh one negative, I cant quite get a comfortable seat position. Cheers Colin

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've only just had the CVT in the UK - so for 2016-2020 we have to rely on Austrailian/ New Zealand and elsewhere experience - haven't heard of problems. I'd have the CVT - dealer warned my off the automated manual though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts