Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to write this up here to document for in case anyone has similar issues.

I bought a 2013 SX4 JA FWD CVT @ 144.000km for my daughter a few weeks ago and the seller has been less than stellar/honest to be frank...

It's my fault though, I should've known from the looks of the place that the car was going to be sold "as is" even though they are a used car lot. To say the place looked drab is an understatement. That and the first thing the salesman said to me was: "This car is AWD you know?" To which I replied: "No it's not... " and he insisted until I showed him the lack of transfer case and rear diff. Also the lack of AWD button inside the car kind of gave it away.

That and the "no AWD badge..."

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, but I know my way around an engine bay, car underside, etc. My skill level is at the point where I can perform oil changes, serpentine belt, fix minor issues, replace brake rotors, pads, calipers. One time I changed the timing belt on an EJ25 Subaru. Another time I changed the valve cover and spark plug seals on that same EJ25 engine. Oh and I changed a heater core on a 1993 Sidekick - I posted that here but for the life of me I can't get logged back in using that user name. Just remove the 2 from after my user name here and you should get an idea.

So at the test drive I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, I did a summary inspection of the car and it checked out. Carfax stated accident front right side. Had been repaired - properly - frame is straight and the car drove straight. Engine fluids were correct and underside was clean with practically no visible rust anywhere.

A week after taking the car home, my daughter tells me the car was shuttering at idle, and that the brakes kinda scared her. I took the car for a short drive and after 30 seconds I noticed that the rotors were warped. Also there was now a clunking sound from the front drivers side and some loose on the steering column.

I questioned my daughter and she denied hitting any curbs, she's a pretty good driver and has been driving for 4, almost 5 years so I trusted her.

Result was I had to replace the front brake rotors and pads. Then I had to replace the driver's side ball-joint which as we all know is a PITA because it's part of the suspension arm, and the passenger's side inner and outer tie rod ends that were loose. This fixed the loose steering and clunking, as well as the brakes (which are now obnoxiously strong!!!)

Last Friday morning she goes to start the car and it's dead. Her old car (the aforementioned Subaru) had automatic headlights - the JA does not. She got home late from work the night before and forgot them on.

No problem, I boosted the car and it started up with difficulty, coughing and shaking. ECU threw a 062 code. After charging the battery up properly with a battery charger and a few starts the ECU code went away so disaster averted. However the car still ran rough at idle, and hot. It almost felt like the catalytic converter was clogged - it's right under the oil filter so right at the front of the engine - the area that felt really hot included that area, the engine block, radiator.

I mean I know engines get hot but this was TOO hot. It also threw an intermittent P0300 code (cylinder 4 misfire) so since I was already going to change the oil, I decided to take a look at the spark plugs and here's what I found (see the pictures below) - not only were they wrong wrong wrong wrong but they were so loose that I could unscrew all of them by using the extension without a ratchet attached to it.

I mean who the heck uses those spark-plugs? I changed the plugs for OEM equivalent G-Spark branded plugs and the shutter was gone. Oil was changed, no problem there except that whoever did the previous oil change had torqued the drain plug to the equivalent of the moon's mass, there's only enough room for either the oil filter, OR my hand at the front, the oil filter is perfectly placed to leak oil right on the catalytic converter - ( why?) but now the car runs like normal. It's actually a zippy little hatchback and I hope it will last as long as the last Suzuki I had: A 1998 Sidekick I sold at 21 years and 210.000km.

What's weird is that before all the repairs, I'm 100% sure that the CVT was running with set fixed gears and not with the weird snow-mobile transmission type behaviour typical to CVT cars. Now it drives like my old Lancer (or a snow mobile...)

Anyhow all my calls (voicemail) and emails have been left unanswered by the used car lot staff. I have half a mind to just show up and request part of my money back.

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
So you agreed to buy a used car "as is" (not that there is anything wrong with that, I've done it), and now you want to go and demand money back? Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you agreed to buy a used car "as is" (not that there is anything wrong with that, I've done it), and now you want to go and demand money back? Good luck.
To be clear. I didn't agree to buy it as is. Cars sold by a shop in Quebec must have a legal warranty. I have to check the duration but from memory it should be 1 month 5000km.

·
Registered
882 Posts
,,, a shop in Quebec ,
WHere in Quebec....? Please fill in your profile/signature with all details about car and location so we do not ask next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts