Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my stock carb and exhaust. This is for my '86 samurai which is my daily runner. Recently I had the top end of motor rebuilt, pistons 20 over and other misc which came with kit. From what i understand, the stock carb and emmissions of the early sammy left a lot to be desired. I've run into terrible cold idle issues (10*F), and as it warms, the idle shoots WAY up, and races for around 10 minutes until finally dropping to an "acceptable" rpm. We've looked into adjustments/troubleshooting tips, and I think I'm at the point where getting rid of all the "garbage" is my best avenue. Simple carb, least amount of emissions.... My stock exhaust is also due for replacement, so I'm looking for advice on that as well. BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK so to speak. (was looking into the weber601 to give you a price idea, which runs about $259.00)

Thank you so much for any advice that may be given!!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The Weber gives a good boost but can have problems with stalling on steep inclines. The Thorley header has a good reputation as has the Calmini and either could be mated to a custom freer flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choke

Thank you for the reply. We're currently looking into a choke issue, but leaning towards a new carb in the near future. (steap grades will definitly not be an issue. Fairly flat as a pancake around here.lol) Thanks again!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wile the Weber is a descent enough carb for an on road rig. It is prone to poor performance in the off road environment. It hates angles and severe josteling....It is also temperamental in the fuel pressure department. It likes 2.5 lbs of fuel pressure ,The stock Zuke pump produces 4 lbs...This can be corrected with a fuel regulator. But it still has other issues .
The MY Side conversion works really well but is expensive $400 or more..
We use the venerable Toyota Corolla 1200 cc carb...
At $95 new, it's cost effective.
As close to a direct fit as anyone could ask for.
Works well off angle.
Increases bottom end considerably.
Is more economical than the stock Hitachi.
Better response in all rpm ranges.
A noticeable difference in the top end...
Has no emitions.......
Alas, it is not equipped with an electric choke though.
It's a bit cold blooded. I recommend running the stock preheat system.

....Boxcar...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply Boxcar! My boss was looking into some sort of toyota carb as a replacement. Just how much "adaption" is required? Low end, and top end, would definately be a plus! Is a manual choke a viable option on this setup?
Thanks again! "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts