Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about ordering a set of 6.5 transfer case gears for my Sammy. With the 32" tires it is hard to drive slowly over rough terrain without slipping the clutch a lot or stalling. Is an upgraded output shaft necessary with that setup?

Also curious if any special precautions need to be taken to drive it though water for an extended time such as driving along a river where the differential and transfer case may be submerged for a long time?

·
Registered
105 Posts
i drive threw alot of flood plains and i run extended breathers on my diffs and a electric fan with a in cab switch so i can turn it off for the deeper water holes and i have pop up drain plugs in my floor pan to let the water out when it gets in. now you got me thinking about the breathers for transfer and gear box.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not heard about breather extenders. Will put them on the difs before getting in the water. Will also check further on transfer case and gear box to see if they can be a problem in the water...

·
Registered
105 Posts
the cheapest way to extend the diff breathers is to use rubber hose that is oil resistant and a fuel filter on the end in the engine bay. i'm running billet race craft diff breathers. but they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
In my book, overkill is just another word for insurance. If you are going larger than stock (tires) and you are going to compound the gear ratio with lower gears, then take out all the insurance you can. Installing the newer (some call it heavy Duty) front output gear is an easy install (relatively) and it will give you a little piece of mind. Just remember, a heavy foot can cause that insurance to lapse...
;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts