Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my stock headlight with some for a brighter and nicer pair. I saw some Sylvania Silverstars at autozone for $26 a piece. I'm wondering if they'll be good/bright enough for my liking. I've also seen some on RRO's website. Any one with experience with IPF H-4 headlamps? They are a bit expensive, but i'm willing to spend for quality. Thanks for any help.
-J.Bake

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located, but I am upgrading my lights by adding six LED lights. Most all my work and parts are from Samurai Salvage in Marshalltown, Iowa. See website
Samuraisalvage.com

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yeah, samurai wiring and relays aren't set up to handle the current of a major lighting upgrade. Make sure you do the wires and relays so you don't cook the electrics or reduce the effectiveness of your new lights.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Be considerate of the elderly and stay away from the HID lights. They have enough problems seeing at night without being blinded by the glare. I know as I am one of them.

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
Actually make that be considerate to yourself and stay away from HID conversions.

Two reasons - first - they are actually illegal, and second, whilst they are brighter, using the HID bulb in a fixture designed for a halogen bulb does not allow for proper focussing so the light goes everywhere except where it's needed (which is what causes the glare that Haptown mentions).

A good halogen bulb (such as the Sylvanias mentioned earlier) will actually give you greater light output where it's needed than the HID conversion, even though the HID gives you the illusion of more light.

Slightly different question - for those of you who did install HIDs - what was it like on a dark & rainy night?

·
Registered
66 Posts
That you - I wasn't going to say it, but I have the same problem with the over powered lights at night - they blind me!!! So I won't do that to other people, that is why I've added a couple of 100watt KC's to the front bumper and I'll be adding 3 more lights on the roof for off road use, but as for on the road stock has been working for me...

David

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you upgrade to HIDs they actually use less power than halogens[after start up].:cool:
true they use less power, but you still need to upgrade the wiring since you'r installing balasts. Don't need heavier gauge, just different harness and connectors.

@Haptown, fordem, and Dwcarr1: all too true. Illegal, unfocused, scattered and way too bright if used in the wrong housing. (illegal in any housing if not original factory equipped) If done properly, the HID lighting can be extremely beneficial and safe. (but still illegal in a samurai for on-road use) Unfortunately it costs way too much money to install a set of HID's in xenon projector housings. The cost outweighs the benefits, hence most people stick the xenon bulbs in halogen housings. this results in a beam that isn't properly focused and it blinds others. A place where xenon HID's can be cost efective is in your off road lights. Having a broad beam flood that lights up everything like daylight is a great thing when off roading at night. Less lamps, and less power draw, means less weight, and less load on your electrical system. A xenon off road light may cost you 100 bucks, but it puts out more light than 3 halogen lights and uses 1/3 the power of one halogen light.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you get the correct color temp[4-5000k] and aim your lights correctly ,it is not a real problem, they have less glare than the fake hid blue halogens that are legal and are what most of you are talking about. If your that blind maybe you shouldn't be driving at night.:lol:

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
The color temperature is not the problem, and you cannot properly focus (or aim) a discharge lamp (HID) in a filament housing because of the design differences.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have seen many in person that were fine on motorcycles and cars:). It may take some shimming[for depth] but they arenot a problem if done correctly. like I said the color temp makes a huge difference the lower the better, less blue the light- less annoying to other cars. HIDs do not need projector lenses as many come with the regular lamp and reflector set up from the factory[optimized admittedly for HID]. the most notable I know of are mustangs:D.

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
You can't do it with shimming - the shape of the light source is different - a discharge arc has a different shape to a tungsten filament.

IT CAN NOT BE DONE PROPERLY, you can approximate it, but that will still be a compromise, and that is why it is illegal in most contries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take a deep breath...... there we go, now who said properly ? possible yes completly proper and legal...well... not really, but neither is a lot of offroading or suspension mods or body mods exactly, but are they possible-yes, useful-yes, really a public hazard- not if done correctly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 2 cents.
Relax is good.
When one gets older the eyes begin to use more light and absorb it differently. Macular degeneration. So just hold on and take several deep breaths.
One day...when u are older...or old. You will get what we are saying.
Some time ago my problem was with daytime running lights.
Both me and my buddy have them so he follows me or I follow him and our mutual agreement was to turn them off. He could and I couldn't so guess who leads all the time.
Relax and be patient...you will get older and understand it better.
Doesn't solve ur problem but could get u thinking.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
Take a deep breath...... there we go, now who said properly ? possible yes completly proper and legal...well... not really, but neither is a lot of offroading or suspension mods or body mods exactly, but are they possible-yes, useful-yes, really a public hazard- not if done correctly.

On Guyana's 367 miles of paved roads are they really that picky about your lights?:confused:
Why is it that you feel the need to get personal and nasty, and then you tell me I need to relax.

For what it's worth, Guyana has no laws dictating what lights I can put on my vehicle as long as it's white to the front and red to the rear - HIDs in filament lamp housings are illegal in Florida - how/why do I know this - in any given year, I cover as much distance on the roads in Florida (and I have been in New Smyrna - just in case you're interested) as I do in Guyana, and I display the same courtesy & consideration to my fellow road users both in Guyana and the United States.

And that was where this discussion was when you joined it, before you took it into the gutter - being courteous & considerate, and not dazzling the oncoming drives with improperly focussed lights.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually the replacement headlt housings I have are designed for HID's they are projectors;). I may have mistaken your comments but I thought you were getting a little pushy:(. I just dont agree with your opinion of HIDs in vehicles.
I think we can let this be now sorry to ruffle feathers.:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts