Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a rollover tracker that's a '96 and appears to be OBDII. Engine has fewer miles than mine (95 i assume obd I) and other than a dying starter and missing A/C :( seems to be a good option to swap over.

I was thinking of just swaping all the crap from the old engine onto the new, but seems like OBDII has its advantages....and since I have the donor, wonder if it's worth the hassle.

My main concern is how integrated the ECU is to the rest of the systems, can I keep my old speedo/cluster (dash changed shape)? I've got an airbag red light on the rollover car (airbags didn't deploy), would it conflict w/the ECU? NO immobilizer I'm guessing?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,270 Posts
You cannot mix/match the OBDI/II, the wiring/sensors are no compatible.

..... Philip

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like i said, I've got a donor and realize the wiring/ecu won't be the same. So I can either (a) swap stuff from old engine onto new short block, or (b) grab stuff from parts car.

I suppose I should rephrase, for those who have done it, what is needed of newer vehicle to make it work? And/or a link to a procedure?

I read something about a tank sensor, which worries me the most since mine is a 4 door and would rather keep the larger capacity tank.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,270 Posts
If you want to move the OBDII engine to the OBDI body, you may use the long block, use the intake/exhaust and sensor from the OBDI engine..

If you wish to transplant the OBDII system, it must be complete.... Lot of work, no guarantee!

... Philip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts