Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help on this would be really appreciated.
I've taken my 2001 reg Ignis to numerous garages and nobody has been able to help. This has been going on for quite some time now and I don't know what else to do.
I'll try to give as much info as possible.
The Ignis was converted to gas several years ago (not sure if that's relevant) and worked fine up until about a year ago. We once had a problem with the engine cutting out and changed the sensor (thanks to reading about it on this site). The current problem: for no apparent reason the engine starts to shudder/the revs drop and if you don't pump the accelerator it stalls. If it happens when you start the engine it just shudders and stalls. This is most common when starting cold, but can also happen at any random time - hot/cold/low speed/high speed. If it happens while you're driving along, the car keeps going but it loses power and it feels like it's trying to pull a heavy load but can't manage it. Then all of a sudden, it seems like a blockage clears and full engine power returns. The strange thing is that weeks can go by and it doesn't do it, and then for no apparent reason it starts again. Some days it'll happen every time I use the car, and other days/weeks there's no problem at all. We've also tried just running it on petrol, but that hasn't helped.
I have very little knowledge of cars so I'm not looking to fix this problem myself, but any ideas/solutions would be passed on to a mechanic. The computer diagnostics test doesn't show a problem and they've cleaned the EGR.
Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Look for corrosion on the pins of all electrical plugs. If you see white stuff, scrape it off the pins. Possibly the high current stuff like the ignition coils wiring could be the cause. The other plugs to the sensors may be causing the issue too, but you need to check everything. If the car has been in a collision at the front and been repaired, check the wiring where the damage was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any more info?

So we're now going to take the car in for them to check all the pins/plugs, as advised, but I'd like to ask for another favour. We know nothing about cars.
We are located in Kalamata, Greece and the mechanics here don't seem to know what's wrong with the car. Perhaps they just can't be bothered to start the process of checking pins/plugs. Who knows? Anyway, my husband will take it in and ask them to check for this, but perhaps you (or anyone else :))could give us some ideas of other things they should check while it's in. I gather they should start at the ignition coil wiring. Roughly how many pins/plugs are there?
(Stupid question? Only asking so that we can make sure they've done a thorough job doing that) Are there any other things that could be causing this, which they could also check for if the pins/plugs seem okay?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any more info?

So we're now going to take the car in for them to check all the pins/plugs, as advised, but I'd like to ask for another favour. We know nothing about cars.
We are located in Kalamata, Greece and the mechanics here don't seem to know what's wrong with the car. Perhaps they just can't be bothered to start the process of checking pins/plugs. Who knows? Anyway, my husband will take it in and ask them to check for this, but perhaps you (or anyone else :))could give us some ideas of other things they should check while it's in. I gather they should start at the ignition coil wiring. Roughly how many pins/plugs are there?
(Stupid question? Only asking so that we can make sure they've done a thorough job doing that) Are there any other things that could be causing this, which they could also check for if the pins/plugs seem okay?

Thanks again.
Hello. Sorry I am having this issue to the T for my Suzuki Ignis. May I ask was this solved? Many Thanks would really appreciate it. It has happened while kids were in the car on a round-about and now on a major highway intersection so I am definately starting to not feel safe while driving.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Hello. Sorry I am having this issue to the T for my Suzuki Ignis. May I ask was this solved? Many Thanks would really appreciate it. It has happened while kids were in the car on a round-about and now on a major highway intersection so I am definately starting to not feel safe while driving.
What year, what engine, is it on lpg?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Could be a coil pack. I had the same issue and swapped the coil pack - fixed! I have a few spare cars for parts, so was a cheap fix. I'm in Brisbane if you need to try a good one.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,978 Posts
You need to stop guessing (pins, coils), find a qualified diagnostician that can put a scope to work, get the true data...

Record some data for us so we have a chance... fuel trims ? Ignition waveforms.. ??

And, of course confirm the engine, yr and fuel source (LPG, Gasoline)

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
You need to start you own thread, Your issue will be different and solutions may not apply..

We do of course need the same data for a baseline...

·
Registered
21 Posts
What year, what engine, is it on lpg?
Hey its a 2002 ignis hatchback
it is a manual and runs unleaded. We have changed sensors and the fuel pump the regulator and more like got and injector kit. we had the computer looked at by a mechanic nothing came up on it.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Deeliellah

You need to stop throwing parts at that vehicle, it will cost you a fortune trying to eradicate the problem..

Now we need to start the diagnostics..Your issue is not the same as the OP, theirs is running on LPG..that is why I asked you to start your own thread..

Next, if you do not have the skills and equipment, look for a qualified diagnostician, not a mechanic.. Be prepared to have them spend time with the vehicle as this is an intermittent problem and they are the most difficult to rectify..

Start recording ALL the misbehavior's with the type of driving, weather, duration of trip, accessories in use (lights, A/C, radio), fuel level....describe in detail what happens when the problem arises, remember we cannot see the vehicle so be very precise...

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
nicolamag

The issue you are having, does this happen on LPG or on either fuel source ??

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Go to the top of the page where it says Suzuki Ignis forum and click there, when the new page opens there will be a link in the upper right to start a new discussion.

Reactions: Deeliellah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be a coil pack. I had the same issue and swapped the coil pack - fixed! I have a few spare cars for parts, so was a cheap fix. I'm in Brisbane if you need to try a good one.
I'm no where near brisbane. I'm in Bundaberg and everyone that has looked at it has not a clue for the problem or what may be causing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go to the top of the page where it says Suzuki Ignis forum and click there, when the new page opens there will be a link in the upper right to start a new discussion.
I have started a new discussion thanks you for letting me know how to. :) Many thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts