Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1995 tracker recently it started grinding on the front driver side. Based on the sound I assumed it was the wheel bearing. We replaced both bearings with all new stuff. Test drive showed it still had the issue. A mechanic test drove it and told us the CV was the best bet. We then replaced driver side CV. Still has the noise. Tested the hubs and see no issues in their function lock works unlock works.. Here's the odd part. The grinding like noise is there when turning right only. Straight is fine and left is fine. The noise is there both in 4x4 and out of 4x4 still when turning right. The oddest part is at 55mph if I turn right it grinds but if I click it to neutral and turn right the noise isn't there. All repairs were done to book spec. Any advice on what else I could look at vs just spending more $ on guesses. Please help I am out of ideas

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like you've been pretty thorough but I need to clarify something. You say in and out of 4x4. So it does it does it with the hubs locked and with the transfer case in 2wd and 4wd, AND it does it with the transfer case in 2wd and the hubs unlocked?

Really the only thing I can think of up front is the brake dust shield, if it got bent by something then it can rub the rotor when you turn into just like how yours acts. It's nothing special, just pry it back a little with a screwdriver. Easy enough to eliminate this possibility. I've had this happen on multiple vehicles. But it stopping the noise in Neutral I'm not sure.

Could you describe the grind more? Is it a low rumbly grind or a higher pitch squeal type grind or something else? Can you feel it in the steering wheel or in your seat or not at all? Does it grind only when you are in the process of turning (throwing the weight of the vehicle) or constantly as long as the steering wheel is held to the right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First i tried many versions of 4x4 positions including the transfer case. No matter the position the noise persist. Noise is there in 2wd with hubs unlocked and 4 WD with hubs locked. Second the dust shield was replaced during the wheel bearing repair as small rust holes let water inside the bearing seal. Thus the shield was considered as well. Also if it was the shield it would still be there when coasting I imagine. Finally the noise is a low tone hum or light grind like I have typically experienced when a wheel bearing is bad. It sends a similar vibration to both the wheel and the floor when turning right. Nothing drastic, just a rub like vibration only when turning right. Its easier to hear or feel at higher speeds. The turning right in neutral at speed and it not making the sound or vibration is what has me most confused.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hello, I have a 1995 tracker recently it started grinding on the front driver side.

unique front end grind when turning and in drive only 1995 tracker 4x4
Any advice on what else I could look at vs just spending more $ on guesses. Please help I am out of ideas
What size tires?
Any lift on it?
How many miles?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
First, do not test your car in 4wd with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 4wd, when you are on a dry surface. These cars are part time 4wd and not meant to be driven in 4wd (transfer case engaged and hubs locked) on a dry surface.
That being said, have you manhandled your steering components - pitman arm, idler arm, center link, etc., to see if any of them are loose? And have you jacked up each front wheel, and spun it, to see if you can hear the noise, as well as turning the wheels to the left and right while jacked up and spinning the tires? I don't think that anything in the transmission would be involved with turning left or right, and if this only happens when you are actually turning, it would seem to be a steering component.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im having this exact same issue and I have also needlessly replaced the driver side wheel bearing. I kinda thought the cv axle also but I didn't want to spend any more money guessing so if you figure this out please let me know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
While you're checking things out, one thing I would just check since it is easy enough is the u-joints on the rear driveshaft. Block wheels, put in neutral, and twist and pull at the shaft at both ends and see if there is any play in any direction. I had a similar experience with mine. First I thought it was a rear wheel bearing because every time I would steer a little bit to the right at highway speed and shift the weight of the vehicle I'd feel it. Then I would hear a click from a dead stop which I swore was play in the right front hub. I'm usually really good at telling where noise is coming from, but I guess on a vehicle this small it is deceptive. Just because it was easy enough I checked out the u-joints and the rear driveshaft joint at the transfer case was both binding and loose and seals were shot. Replaced both joints in the rear shaft and no more issues. Since I do have a little play in the rear axle from worn bushings, that little bit of side movement was enough to make the worn out u-joint act up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello, I have a 1995 tracker recently it started grinding on the front driver side. Based on the sound I assumed it was the wheel bearing. We replaced both bearings with all new stuff. Test drive showed it still had the issue. A mechanic test drove it and told us the CV was the best bet. We then replaced driver side CV. Still has the noise. Tested the hubs and see no issues in their function lock works unlock works.. Here's the odd part. The grinding like noise is there when turning right only. Straight is fine and left is fine. The noise is there both in 4x4 and out of 4x4 still when turning right. The oddest part is at 55mph if I turn right it grinds but if I click it to neutral and turn right the noise isn't there. All repairs were done to book spec. Any advice on what else I could look at vs just spending more $ on guesses. Please help I am out of ideas

Was this ever resolved? I have the same exact issue while turning right. Feels up front and I can feel it vibrating through the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.