Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1994 Samurai that has 32" tires and wheels. The previous owner said they installed some kind of gear kit to allow this vehicle to run with these large tires. I know some gear change was done because the speedo is wildly off and low is freakin granny. :)

I use this vehicle as a tow vehicle behind my RV. I'd like to take this machine back to stock.

I didn't think about this at the time when the owner said they installed a "something" kit.

What kind of kit would they have installed?

I'd like to have an idea of what I'm talking about when I talk to a parts house to order the necessary parts to undo the mods.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
13,218 Posts
Are we going to use your crystal ball or mine? I vote for yours because mine doesn't work "long distance".

There are two common ways to "re-gear" a Samurai, one is to change the ring & pinion in the axles (both of them) and the other is to change the transfer case gears - so let's see if we can figure out what was done.

Park the car on level ground, chock both front wheels so that it cannot roll, put the hand brake down, transmission in neutral and jack one rear wheel off the ground - mark the rear tire and the drive shaft flange near the rear axle - now have someone rotate the wheel that is off the ground exactly TWO full turns whilst you count how many turns the drive shaft flange makes - three & three quarter turns would be the stock gears which are 3.73:1 - other common ratios are 4.57:1 and 5.38:1.

If the axle gears are stock, then the transfer case gears are what were changed - I suggest you call the guys at Low Range Off Road or Trail Tough and see if they can set you up with a good set of used transfer case gears, these are not something that they commonly sell so they won't advertise them - BUT - since they sell the reduction gears and sometimes install them, they MAY have the gears that came out of a transfer case.

If you want to know what gears are in your transfer case - mark the drive shaft flange where it comes out of the transfer case and the jack shaft flange where it goes in (jack shaft is the one from the transmission to the transfer case), you want to know how many turns of the jack shaft for one turn of the drive shaft - stock gears in 4L will be roughly two and one quarter (2.268:1), other common gear sets are 4.16:1, 4.9:1 & 6.4:1.

By the way - once you know what you have in the transfer case, you might be able to sell the gears or even organize a swap with a little cash on the side to sweeten the deal and the same goes for the axle gears.

For what it's worth - you mention the speedometer is wildly off - if this is with stock tires, it would suggest the axle gears have been changed, because the speedometer is driven from the transfer case output, which is after the reduction gearing. Ifthe tire size is non standard, that could be the cause of the speedometer error. We are also right now just addressing gearing, there is a high probability the suspension has been modified and determining how that was done is not going to be as simple.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are we going to use your crystal ball or mine? I vote for yours because mine doesn't work "long distance".

There are two common ways to "re-gear" a Samurai, one is to change the ring & pinion in the axles (both of them) and the other is to change the transfer case gears - so let's see if we can figure out what was done.

Park the car on level ground, chock both front wheels so that it cannot roll, put the hand brake down, transmission in neutral and jack one rear wheel off the ground - mark the rear tire and the drive shaft flange near the rear axle - now have someone rotate the wheel that is off the ground exactly TWO full turns whilst you count how many turns the drive shaft flange makes - three & three quarter turns would be the stock gears which are 3.73:1 - other common ratios are 4.57:1 and 5.38:1.

If the axle gears are stock, then the transfer case gears are what were changed - I suggest you call the guys at Low Range Off Road or Trail Tough and see if they can set you up with a good set of used transfer case gears, these are not something that they commonly sell so they won't advertise them - BUT - since they sell the reduction gears and sometimes install them, they MAY have the gears that came out of a transfer case.

If you want to know what gears are in your transfer case - mark the drive shaft flange where it comes out of the transfer case and the jack shaft flange where it goes in (jack shaft is the one from the transmission to the transfer case), you want to know how many turns of the jack shaft for one turn of the drive shaft - stock gears in 4L will be roughly two and one quarter (2.268:1), other common gear sets are 4.16:1, 4.9:1 & 6.4:1.

By the way - once you know what you have in the transfer case, you might be able to sell the gears or even organize a swap with a little cash on the side to sweeten the deal and the same goes for the axle gears.

For what it's worth - you mention the speedometer is wildly off - if this is with stock tires, it would suggest the axle gears have been changed, because the speedometer is driven from the transfer case output, which is after the reduction gearing. Ifthe tire size is non standard, that could be the cause of the speedometer error. We are also right now just addressing gearing, there is a high probability the suspension has been modified and determining how that was done is not going to be as simple.
Wildly off with the 32 inch tires.

·
Super Moderator
18,290 Posts
Have you considered just trading off this vehicle for a stock one? There are folks who might just enjoy a modified for off-road drivetrain in exchange. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m pretty sure the owner said transfer case mod so I’ll start there.

Part of my goal of the thread was to gain some knowledge on my own and then talk to Low Range. Don’t know about the gear kit but I’m betting I won’t have any problems selling or trading the almost new 32” mud grips on chrome rims. They make the machine look great but I don’t play in skidder country anymore.
Have you considered just trading off this vehicle for a stock one? There are folks who might just enjoy a modified for off-road drivetrain in exchange. :)
I’d certainly be willing to do that for the right vehicle. Got a stock tin top? 😁 Here’s mine.
CD6D8EF3-6E6C-47D4-930A-1B5427461EDF.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
18,290 Posts
You should use your local Craig's List or our Classified section if considering a sale or swap.

And don't forget that there are unknown ($'s) involvement to re-gear, lower back the suspension to stock ride height, along with the purchase of replacement stock size rims and tires. Especially if having to shell out big bucks for parts and Shop expertise re-gearing two differentials and possibly the transfer case gearing. You are almost throwing away good money at that point. Maybe even putting into the vehicle more than what it is worth, on top of the just purchased price.

It is a handsome vehicle, but given now the dislikes of this ride, what attracted you to it? :unsure:
An up close visual and a test drive should have been all of the decision making needed, no?

I was also looking at your old posts. You are certainly no newbie when it comes to this vehicle platform, which included apparent earlier same model ownership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s the right vehicle for me and RVing. Flat tows and probably the lightest one can find. I wanted some mild off-road capability and an emergency ride in case my motorhome broke down. It just fits with an E450 chassis. I found this one watching clist for a long time. It’s also generally simple to work on. There just aren’t that many within 100 miles or so in good enough condition. I still watch clist for them but for example Charlotte very seldom has any. And moving it back to basically stock is just a tire and wheel change. I’m pretty sure selling the 32s would conver the cost of new or used stock rims & tires so I’d only be out a gear kit or picking up a stock transfer case and swapping them out, then sell the modded gear box. Cost shouldn’t be a big issue here.

·
Super Moderator
18,290 Posts
IF you aren't pleased with the engine RPM / speedo error in "high" range now, then your front and rear differential ratios have been modified. And will you be OK with the ride quality and lifted suspension with STOCK size tires refitted? ;)

Selling used tires and aftermarket rims may pan out, but only if you can find the right buyer who has the need and will fit his ride.

I think that you are looking at more out of pocket expense than you realize. Good luck and keep us posted.

Personal opinion...for an occasional off-roader, tow behind, back-up emergency vehicle, designated for minimal usage...I think that you have the PERFECT vehicle already.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining, I’m not. Mostly just exploring an option. If I didn’t want/like the vehicle it wouldn’t be here. I keep having people see it from the highway and stop and ask if it’s for sale. It would sell in a heartbeat. I’m having a garage sale today and I hid it behind the shop so people would leave the subject alone. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,218 Posts
That might be just the tires, assuming you have a smart phone there should be downloadable GPS based speedometer apps (I know android ones exist, I assume iphone ones do) that you could use to compare the speedometer reading to actual speed, once you know how far out it is, that could also give you an idea if the axle gears were changed.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
If it was me, I'd swap back onto stock tyres and see what it's like. I would take the lower gearing as a bonus and a great way to relax and see more of the country. If its anything like here, tow towbehinds are to avoid taking the TV into towns and are for getting supplies in the local towns and exploring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a sweet looking ride.

I've been watching clist in my neck of the woods, and decent ones are few and far.

Several have been lifted like this one, which isn't an issue to me. Unfortunately, they have been pretty beat up and still asking top dollar.

You have a rare piece there.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts