Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ive just purchased a 2002 diesel vitara engine runs smooth as a nut no nasty smoke l9oks like its been well looked after . Apart from when you put your foot down in mainly first snd second gear you have to build the revs up before it wants to take off ie it will go but serms like there is a lack of power but by the time you get to 3rd gear it seems to be a lot better .....
The couple i bought it from was saying she only used it for work so msybe 4 miles a day . Im wondering if a drop of redex and a few long stints up the motorway may sort the problem ... i dont think it would have seen a motorway in the last 9/10 years ...
Any advice before i take it to a garage .
Cheers

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
First question - is it a turbodiesel?
Second question - how familiar are you with diesel vehicles, or to ask in a different way, how long have you been driving diesel vehicles.

The reason behind my question is that in my experience (which I will point out does not include a diesel Vitara) is that small (<2.5 liter), naturally aspirated diesel vehicles are notoriously sluggish, and older turbo charged diesels, not much better. If what you are accustomed to is the responsiveness of a petrol engine, the switch to a diesel, even a turbo diesel can be quite a disappointment.

· Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
140 Posts
Have a check of the basic servicing items,Air Filter,Oil Filter,Fuel Filter - the Fuel Filter in a diesel is a crucial component and often overlooked,but make sure you use a very good quality Fuel Filter,I usually use Mann Filters but Blue Print and Mahle are also ok.
It would not do any harm to put some fuel system cleaner in,I normally use Millers - but Forte is also reputed to be good.
As Fordem posted above - diesel engines have very different torque/power characteristics to petrol engines,they usually work over a much narrower power band so an older turbo diesel might be happy (say) between 1800 - 3300 rpm whereas a more modern engine might be happy between 1500 - 3300 rpm (better turbo tech).
That is assuming an engine size of 1.9 - 2.0 litre.
There is usually little to be gained from revving past about 3300 rpm because of the 'Torque Curve'
Non Turbo diesels are just sluggish.
I have had many diesels (both non turbo and turbo) but not a suzuki - which engine does yours have ? I think some of the older Suzis had XUD engines but not sure about the later ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts