Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 GV that I do a lot of camping in. I'm trying to free up some space in the back by taking out the water containers and putting something under the back of the car, without reducing clearance.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Good morning,

I was also thinking of doing the same to free up some space. The way I was looking at it was to actually remove one section of the rear seat (if possible) and have an RV water tank installed in the footwell behind the front passenger seat.

Here is an idea of what would be interesting. (at 30sec of playing) but nice to see the entire video... youtube.com/watch?v=wb3hWU5mEng

Now, since space is an issue and the rear seat does not fold completely flat, you could use the foot well space up to the height of the rear seat to have a water tank installed with the pump.

I find under the vehicle with the clearance it has, the tank could be damaged.

Marcos

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Good luck with getting something under the car. It would have to be custom manufactured to follow the contours of the vehicle to be of any use. I used to have a 2.5 gallon air tank underneath and constantly had issues with clearance so I removed it, built a false floor in the back and used the space under that to mount everything.

You could use the same idea to build in a water tank under the floor space. Check my sig for some plans if you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can fit a rectangle tank approx 300 x 250 x 850 between chassis rails and close to the floor in place of rear muffler. It bolts up with same holes used for the tow bar and still has more clearance than original muffler offered. Tow bar is still used but with longer bolts. Mine is under construction and made out off 2mm stainless sheet. You could also use the tank for fuel instead if desired. Plus the GV sounds much better now with sports muffler in front of rear diff.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The design of the storage well under the cargo area wastes a lot of space. You could eliminate the storage well and use the space for a 4-5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. Ideal location is probably as stated previously....the space near the towbar once the rear muffler is removed.

Maybe get the underfloor box cut out and a new one made similar to what is available for the jk wrangler. Done correctly you maybe able to get a water tank and space for a second battery.

If you intend on using the towbar bolts it's probably wise to not be towing also.....as I'm sure the added weight supported by the bolts would impact on the towbar ratings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can fit a rectangle tank approx 300 x 250 x 850 between chassis rails and close to the floor in place of rear muffler. It bolts up with same holes used for the tow bar and still has more clearance than original muffler offered. Tow bar is still used but with longer bolts. Mine is under construction and made out off 2mm stainless sheet. You could also use the tank for fuel instead if desired. Plus the GV sounds much better now with sports muffler in front of rear diff.
sounds like a good plan.
Be sure to post when finished,

Paul

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe it would be best to fit storage tanks infront of the rear axle.
Not a good idea to have heaps of weight hanging off the back end.
Try and share the weight distribution. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2011 GV that I do a lot of camping in. I'm trying to free up some space in the back by taking out the water containers and putting something under the back of the car, without reducing clearance.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
You could devise some sort of flexible water bladder and fill up the rear door. Drill and tap a faucet. I wonder how many gallons/liters will fit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was hoping the extra weight would bring the rear down a bit, October last year I fitted some dobinsons +40mm constant heavy load springs and its still sitting 20mm more than it should. Its sitting about 550 from wheel centre to arch when its supposed to be about 525 - 530. An extra 75 litres of water and 10 kg of stainless might help hopefully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.