Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Vitara 2007
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've just acquired a 2007 Grand Vitara. It's been really well looked after and drives great. However. I can't get it to engage 4H Lock or 4 Low.
The selector moves just fine, but no lights on the selector or the dash. I've tried doing it stationary, moving slowly in neutral or in gear.
I've checked all the fuses.
I doubt the previous owner ever tried to engage the centre diff. or put it in 4L.
I've tried searching the forum and Google but haven't got anywhere. I haven't even found any information on how it actually operates. Is it an electrical motor, vacuum operated?
Any pointers gratefully received. I'm pretty competent with this sort of stuff but have no knowledge of this system.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
It's electrically shifted, a motor on top of the transfer cases drives a cam that moves the selector forks - start by observing the dash cluster when you switch the ignition on, the 4WD system lights should come on & go back off during the lamp test, once you know that they are working, turn your attention to the selector knob, make sure it's plugged in - normally if you move the knob and the cam doesn't move to match it's position you'll get flashing lights and I believe a beep to alert you to the fact.

Getting to the selector knob - the vertical trim on either side of the center dash just snap into place, if you have a strong enough grip you can hold it between finger & thumb and pull it off, you'll find several sets of screws holding the various sections of the center dash in place.

Reactions: Ed463

·
Registered
Grand Vitara 2007
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's electrically shifted, a motor on top of the transfer cases drives a cam that moves the selector forks - start by observing the dash cluster when you switch the ignition on, the 4WD system lights should come on & go back off during the lamp test, once you know that they are working, turn your attention to the selector knob, make sure it's plugged in - normally if you move the knob and the cam doesn't move to match it's position you'll get flashing lights and I believe a beep to alert you to the fact.

Getting to the selector knob - the vertical trim on either side of the center dash just snap into place, if you have a strong enough grip you can hold it between finger & thumb and pull it off, you'll find several sets of screws holding the various sections of the center dash in place.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't get any lights on the dash when I turn the ignition on or when I try to engage 4H locked or 4Low.
I've accessed the selector knob, as you describe. All seems good, but I didn't test for any volts.
I tried connecting it to an Autel 802 scanner but it didn't seem to connect reliably. It didn't find any fault codes but I wasn't convinced it was communicating correctly.
I'll get under it tomorrow and test at the electrical motor on the transfer box.
Thanks again, and I'll report back on how I get on.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
What engine do you have in that vehicle - I have the 2.0 engined JB420, and on that model the 4WD system has it's own control unit. I don't recall if my scanner sees the controller separately and I won't be able to verify that for a couple of weeks/

Reactions: Ed463

·
Registered
Grand Vitara 2007
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What engine do you have in that vehicle - I have the 2.0 engined JB420, and on that model the 4WD system has it's own control unit. I don't recall if my scanner sees the controller separately and I won't be able to verify that for a couple of weeks
[/QUOTE
It's the 1.9 litre diesel.
I'm suspecting the 4WD control unit, due to the lack of any lights on the dash or the selector knob. I.E Everything appears "dead".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts