Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another stupid question, I wanted to inspect the timing belt on my tracker so i took off a few bolts off the timing cover so i could peak in there, well the center nut would not come off and it seemed to be backing off from behind the timing cover, after looking at some stuff on the internet i realized that this bolt is what holds your timing belt tensioner, i re tighten that nut but i am worriedn now that my timing belt may be loose?

Thanks guys

Kris

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
center nut would not come off and it seemed to be backing off from behind the timing cover
Please elaborate on just which "nut" is your concern and also provide the engine year and size in discussion here. ;)

How many miles on it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 98 16v, i am talking about the midle timing cover nut, the other are all screws that hold the timing cover in place except the one nut in the midle that from what i saw in some pics/video mounts to a stud that holds the timing belt tensioner in place, well when i tried to take the nut out it backed out the stud instead of the nut, now i'm not sure as to how these tensioners work so thats why i'm asking if i could of messed up the tension being put on my timing belt.

Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
Was this not the bolt that fits on the stud for the tensioner plate/spring? Did the stud itself back off and loosen? If the stud came out fully from where its installed, the rear washer would fall off, as well as the spring itself. By removing the top bolts on the perimeter of the timing cover, you may be able to carefully pull back the cover enough to see whether or not the spring is still in its place, or dangling around, and/or the washer has fallen off. Otherwise, I would fully remove the timing cover and check.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i do beleive that the stud itself backed out, not enough to come out though i stoped after maybe one full turn of the wrench and then realized that the bolt wasnt mooving and i re tighten everything back up.

·
Super Moderator
24,449 Posts
If the stud was still connected at the tensioner plate, then it is unlikely that you would have a problem, I don't think - but if it screwed out and came free, then I would completely remove the cover and check.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
then I would completely remove the cover and check.
But there in lies the problem (I think) :huh: . He can't remove the cover, as the nut WITH stud tries to back out together!

OP...can you somehow access the stud with a wrench or vice-grips to keep it from turning while removing just the outer nut?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If I understand the design correctly, the "stud" holds the tensioner AFTER the belt tension is set by the little spring.

As long as the spring (and everything else you can see under the cover) is fine, tighten it all back up and drive it. Fix it at you next timing belt/water pump change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts