Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1992 Geo Tracker U.S, 1.6L 8v sohc 2wh dr. overeating at highway speed(65+)mph but at 45mph or lower including idling it seems fine. It does not steam and no water in the oil. I have changed the waterpump and thermostat and hoses but it seems like it is not circulating well. could it be plugged in the block or maybe as simple as a radiator cap? The check engine light stays on all the time but no codes. Could that be the NAG light? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time!! I forgot to mention it is blowing coolant back through the reservoir out the overflow.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Have you actually drained your coolant and flushed your cooling system to see if there is a blockage? Or flushed the radiator to see if there is a blockage there? You need to be careful about overheating with this car! Presumably you are only using the temp gauge on the dash to determine engine temp - of have you determined this using an IR thermometer? Next question would be what kind of thermostat (temp?) do you have in the car, and have you ever tested it to see if it works properly - you can do this in a pan of water to see if it opens at about 180F. The radiator cap is meant to be 13psi (0.9 bar) and you should confirm that this is what you have. Do you have heat in the passenger compartment? The heating core is part of the overall cooling system.
Regarding the check engine light, you should have a panel under the steering column which you can remove - your nag switch will be a very small sliding switch that is either directly under this removable panel, or toward the left hand speaker. Slide it to the other side to see if the nag turns off. Presumably you have already attempted to get codes with the paper clip? Instructions here:
Check Engine Light
You may also wish to give more information on how the car actually runs, what the cold idle is, warm idle, any bogging issues, as well as confirming that the car is timed and tuned properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I havnt flushed it that is what I am going to do today. I put a 195 thermostat in it the other day. The car runs fine no bogging no idle issues it runs perfect. that's why I want to find out what the problems is before I blow a head gasket or crack a head. I have been using the temp gauge on the panel for temp. It blows perfect heat that's why I am stumped. I don't have a tack gauge but in the morning it revs up for about 5 sec. and idles right done like it should like I said it runs perfect.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Ah, glad it's sorted!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts