Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Last month I had a car crash in my Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7. I believe that in America you have had some problems with this car.
I have Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687 tyres on and I think that these were to blame.
Has anybody else had problems with this vehicle either with tyres or any other parts.
I do understand that you have different specifications in US with left and right hand drive. My car was imported in from Japan. I have only had this car for two months and it is a 2003 model, I'm really worried.
Please help.
Yvonne

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yvonne,

Hope the crash wasn't too serious and no one was hurt.

I've got a 2001 regular (pre-grand) Vitara which came with these tyres on from new. I've been really impressed with them both at motorway speeds and when doing a bit of minor off-roading. When they finally wore out after about 50K miles, I replaced them for another set exactly the same. Maybe the characteristics (weight / balance etc) of the XL7, which is both larger and heavier than mine, make them perform differently.

What were the circumstances under which the crash happened?

Pete

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
I feel same . I love the duelers. We have almost 20k miles on em and have lots of tread left. What exactly happened to say that the tires were to blame??? Glad you were not hurt..

Frank

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi i work for a suzuki dealership an we have never had or herd of any problems with those tyres on XL7s

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive a 2001 grand vitara 3 dr. When i bought it, it had 4 duelers on it. Its road handling in the wet especially was very poor, i tried posting a topic in the forum but got the same response that everyone loves duelers. Unfortunately i continued to drive with the tyres and eventually i too was involved in an accident on a wet road. Since this happened i have changed the tyres to a cheaper make and have noticed a significant difference to the handling of the vehicle on all roads.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Yvonne

I hope no-one was hurt in your accident. I haven't experienced an accident but I have experienced understeer in wet conditions, heavy tread wear and poor off road grip in both Vitara and GV2004 with duelers. See my other postings! Take a look at www.mytyres.co.uk for independent German test quotes on various tyres.

I love Suzuki 4x4's as the best value on the road. Don't be put off a great fun drive.

beancounter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
To cut the long story short - a/road handling with duelers is very unsecure, b/ they get very low remarks in all test - and off road are a disaster.
Change tires and don't accelerate in the corners :)
For on road I recommend Michelin or for more 'all-around' softcore cooper radial or BF goodrich all terrain t/a.
Or go to any tires review site.
Cheers,
T

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tomcat,

With all due respect, I've done some driving about in your native Poland, and I'd have to agree that the state of some of your roads, Duelers are probably not the most sensible tyre choice!

Regards

Pete

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
I believe that this same person posted in a yahoo XL7 group and the tires there was a new set of BF Goodrich's.. Take what they say with a grain of salt..

Frank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Dec 17 2004, 10:36 PM
Betcha it was a blow out on the fronts! And probabaly at significant speed too!
Hi Rag,
Sorry its taken so long to reply but I have had one problem after another with the XL-7. I've still not had it back from the body shop as they have had to ship parts over from Japan.
I have filed a report with VOSA who in turn contacted Bridgestone. They told VOSA that they would be in contact with me but as yet I have not heard from them.
They also said that these tyres are not tested for traction, Unbelievable!!!
I will keep you posted.
Yvonne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts