Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and I am interested in hearing what tyre pressures other GV drivers are running on their vehicles ?
Ours is a SWB (3 door) GV1600 and I have been running it @ 25 psi all round.
Obviously being short wheelbase this car does tend to pitch/roll quite a lot on 'undulating/variable camber' roads,our GV does not seem to have much straight line stability especially on undulating roads but I would say that it does not have much straight line stability on smooth roads either (harder to quantify).
Just before we went for a road trip (in other car),I got our local garage to do a few jobs underneath (I have had to ban myself from working on cars at the moment due to medical stuff) culminating in full wheel alignment.I have just looked at the wheel alignment printout and the 'Toe In' has been left at 'Zero',which I would have thought was going to give the car very little straight line stability ? as surely 'Toe In' is what gives the steering its 'Self Centering' ?
So I guess first things first and ask you guys what tyre pressures you are running/have run and any comments on 'Toe In' settings ?
Just for info - I replaced the Rear springs/shocks last year and the garage fitted new Front 'matched' springs/shocks a few weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
I run 25 PSI all around per the Owner's Manual (placard). I have found that as the pressures go up, ride quality suffers, w/30 feeling every little bump.

Toe-in has nothing to do with steering wheel return. The caster angle spec performs that function. ;)

Zero or slight toe-in specs, aids in straight line performance / tracking though.

And to some degree, the performance aspect (traits) of different tire designs will also affect your ride. Even advanced tire wear & age will impact their performance. Add to that...a less than stellar performing shock / strut package and amount of load onboard have an effect as well.

Reactions: bvs

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
28 front 30 rear with my loading in my 3G model 2015 (yes I know this is a 2G section) , 2013 does very little on road and I run that at about 28 on road and 18 off toad.
but each tyre manufacturer is different. My tyres on The 2015 prefer the 28 to 32 range for best handling, 26 or under it wallows, 34 and its very twitchy in corners. 28 gives a good compromise for handling vs comfort in my situation

Try a couple of pond eitherside of manufacture spec, it will depend a lot on tyre manufacture and sidewall stiffness

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
2013GV. You don't even OWN a similar vehicle. Apples vs oranges. Why even comment? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
My point is you can't rely on manufactur specs if not on the original tyres. Find the pressures that suit the tyres fitted. The placard figure is certainly not accurate for the tyres im running. What profile is he running? What ply? Sidewall stiffness will significantly alter pressure and handling

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
I see now that you amended your earlier post to reflect what I already addressed with regard to different tire traits and Gen of vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run 25 PSI all around per the Owner's Manual. I have found that as the pressures go up, ride quality suffers, w/30 feeling every little bump.

Toe-in has nothing to do with steering wheel return. The caster angle spec performs that function. ;)

Zero or slight toe-in specs, aids in straight line performance / tracking though.

And to some degree, the performance aspect (traits) of different tire designs will also affect your ride. Even advanced tire wear & age will impact their performance. Add to that...a less than stellar performing shock / strut package and amount of load onboard have an effect as well.
Interesting about your car saying 25x25 psi Max,our pillar label says 26 Front /30 Rear.
I understand about Caster Angle but thought a little 'Toe In' might help self centering/straight line stability a little though ?
From our alignment printout - our caster angles are 3deg 16' (L) and 3deg 05' (R) so they are pretty even.
All front and rear springs/shocks have been replaced recently so should be giving reasonable performance.

Just out of interest how would you rate/describe the overall driving experience of your car ?
Ours corners on rails but is hard work whilst cruising as it needs 'steering' almost constantly,totally the opposite of our other car which is a 2008 Sportage diesel whos straight line driving/cruising/stability is really good,especially on smooth roads.
Our tyres all have very good tread (5 - 6mm) although they are not a 'make' I am conversant with so probably 'Ditchfinders' (we take it easy in wet conditions :) ),they were fitted to the car before we bought it and were almost brand new at that time (we have not done much mileage on the GV which is now on a whopping 47,000 miles - not bad for a 2005 !).

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see now that you amended your earlier post to reflect what I already addressed with regard to different tire traits and Gen of vehicle. ;)
I haven't edited original post Max - but I have put a little more tyre info on my later post :)

OOps - Sorry Max - I think you were replying to 2013 GV

·
Super Moderator
19,650 Posts
I'm providing the Gen2 SQ Series Vitara Service Manual specs here for comparison / reference that you may find helpful:

Human body Rectangle Gesture Font Elbow

In regard to my own drivability aspects...keep in mind that it is chosen based on single occupancy, four door chassis accompaniment and specifically purchased (tested / rated) highway performance tire attributes, verses any sort of off-roading enhancement characteristic needs. That is how I use MY Zuk 99% of the time. :)

·
Administrator
18,078 Posts
What the toe in/out does is "take up" any looseness or play in the steering linkages - rear wheel drive cars are typically set up with toe in, so that the drag on the front tires pulls them outwards when taking the looseness, front wheel drive cars will be set with toe-out because those pull the vehicle forward.

I drive a 2.0 four door GV and can't say that I've noticed a tendency to wander in a straight line, it's fitted with a 235/70R16 tire (which is slightly oversized), running at 26 psi, and on Old Man Emu springs/shocks/struts. I run it with the toe set within spec, but adjusted inwards - spec is 0 +/- 2mm, the alignment tech will set it to 0 and then at my request turn it inwards, the machine shows green when it's in spec, red when it's out, and he will leave it where I ask, as long as shows green.

Your perceived lack of straight line stability may be related to the vehicle's shorter wheelbase, along the way I've also had a two door Vitara (a first gen) that I recall not being the "stablest" of vehicles, and I currently have a 2021 Jimny, which like the Vitara, requires constant course correction.

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm providing the Gen2 SQ Series Vitara Service Manual specs here for comparison / reference that you may find helpful:

View attachment 106491
In regard to my own drivability aspects...keep in mind that it is chosen based on single occupancy, four door chassis accompaniment and specifically purchased (tested / rated) highway performance tire attributes, verses any sort of off-roading enhancement characteristic needs. That is how I use MY Zuk 99% of the time. :)
Many thanks for the wee diagram Max.
I also agree that any handling comments must come from a SWB (3 door) driver,I did much of my early driving in military (RAF) SWB Landyrovers which used to pitch around a lot on rough/undulating roads but I do not recall that there were any 'steering' issues with them (to be fair they had 'Steering Boxes' rather than 'Steering Racks' [Rack and Pinion Steering ] so they did tend to 'wander' a little,but nowhere near as much as our Zuki :) ).
I would also like to drive it on a calm day to make sure it is not partly caused by wind/gusts/eddys,we have had a 'windy' year so far :)

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drive a 2.0 four door GV and can't say that I've noticed a tendency to wander in a straight line, it's fitted with a 235/70R16 tire (which is slightly oversized), running at 26 psi, and on Old Man Emu springs/shocks/struts. I run it with the toe set within spec, but adjusted inwards - spec is 0 +/- 2mm, the alignment tech will set it to 0 and then at my request turn it inwards, the machine shows green when it's in spec, red when it's out, and he will leave it where I ask, as long as shows green.

Your perceived lack of straight line stability may be related to the vehicle's shorter wheelbase, along the way I've also had a two door Vitara (a first gen) that I recall not being the "stablest" of vehicles, and I currently have a 2021 Jimny, which like the Vitara, requires constant course correction.
Many thanks for a very useful post Fordem and some interesting Toe In info - it is not something I have ever played with previously.
As you can probably see from my 1st post above - I am aware it could be at least partly because of the SWB of the 3 dr but I just wanted to see if there were any comments from any other 3 Dr drivers on the handling qualities of their veehicles.
We are currently running 215/65/16 tyres - not very good quality ones I am afraid (Prestivo) but they were virtually brand new when we bought the Zuki,the Zuki originally was just going to be our Fun car so I did not worry too much about handling and wet weather tyre peformance - however since then our guvmint has put us on the path towards EV's etc and we eventually decided to make more use of the Zuki before scottish winter salt and political shenanigans might take it off the road.
So I thought I would try and get as much info as poss before going out and playing with the Toe In and/or maybe buying some decent tyres for the old girl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I increased my tire pressure when gas got so expensive. I raised the pressure from 25psi to 52 psi. It increased my mileage from 26mpg to 32 mpg. I did the same thing on an old Geo Metro I had several years ago. It does wonders when you don't have much power in the first place. Little rougher riding but I can stand that with the increased mpg.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,724 Posts
52psi is flaunting death, they are not designed to run at that pressure, 30psi would be the highest for cruising, what is the design pressure posted on the door plaque..

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
I ran them for 50,000 miles on my Geo Metro. No problems at all. I will take my chances.
And what's the max pressure cast into the tyre? I doubt its that high unless its a 12 ply large truck tyre. Wait till one pops at that pressure.

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with GV and Aquanaut - 52 psi is far too high for a normal road tyre,our GV has proper heavy duty SUV tyres fitted (load index 102) with a max load/pressure of 50psi but that does not mean it is built to run at 50psi - it means it should survive peak loads of 50 psi (when the tyre is new),a normal car tyre has a lower load index and will therefore have a lower max pressure.
If you put 50psi in a car tyre when cold - it might get up to 55/56 on a high speed/hot day run.
Our other car is a diesel Sportage and it runs along quite happily at 36F - 30R - it is a much heavier vehicle than our SWB GV,I hate to think what the handling/ride would be like at 52 psi all round LOL.
Many years ago I was driving up a motorway and we happened to pass a friend of my then GF who was parked at the side of the road with a flat tyre,it had almost exploded (a real mess) - I fitted the spare for them and asked how the tyre pressures were - he said I just put them up to 52psi last night o_O - I quickly let them down to the door pillar placard pressure +2 (52 was the max load/pressure on the sidewall) and told him that he needs to use a pressure not too far off the pillar figures for safety.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts