Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at getting bigger tyres (finally!) and was hoping to book it in for sometime this week. hoping to get 31x10.5's on it. has 2" lift, so should be enough, but will have to remove my sidesteps til i can shorten them a little.
what i want to know is what brands everyone uses?... im looking at the BFG M/T because i love the A/Ts. they grip so well and the rubber is cracking from age before the tread wore off... also, will that size be ok on the stock rims? cant afford that big if i have to buy rims also, im on a budget...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok i spoke to the local tyre retailers, they reckon that the 31's will go on the stock rims, but its recommended not to. id prefer to have a set of "road tires" and a set of "play tires" anyway so i dont wear the tread down, and for only $90 each for 15x8 rims its within my budget. but next question is will i need them offset? or will the 31's be fine without too much rubbing?

·
Registered
193 Posts
You didn't specify Samurai or Sidekick. A 2" lift might not be quite enough for 31" tires on a Samurai, but might be OK on a Sidekick. Backspacing requirements are different as well.

31's are most often 10.5" wide. Typically, the tire manufacturer specifies a rim width that is about 2" narrower than the section width (sometimes up to 3"). This information is on their website. For example, my tire, the BFG T/A KO, in 31x10.5R15 calls for a 7-9" rim and is measured at an 8.5" rim width. That makes the 8" width near perfect for this tire. The OEM Suzuki rim, at 5.5", is really too narrow.

The T/A 30x9.5R15 is about a 9.5" tire and fits inside the (Samurai) fender flares. My Samurai spends a lot of time on the pavement in Calif, where you could be cited (but rarely happens) if the tires protrude. This tire is spec'd for 6.5 - 8.5" rims and fits nicely on 7" rims, as does the 235/75R15 which is almost as large.

The smaller sizes are better for driving on asphalt -- both the tire and wheel are lighter. If you need 8" rims, WheelersOffRoad has "15X8 BLACK Steel Wheel , 2.5" BS for $59/ea". There are other suppliers around as well, both Petroworks and Bart come to mind.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I ran 9.5's on my stock rims for a while. If I remember right, I had to flip the rim so that it didn't rub when I turned it to the stops.

When I went up to a 10.5 I had to put wheel spacers in. Then I went up to a 33-12.5 and had to get a wider rim. I think they're 8" and the 12.5's looked like doughnuts on them. I'm back down to a 31-11.5 and they're just right on the 8" rims with 2.5" BS

·
Registered
112 Posts
BFG's are around $250 a pop to fit a standard height Sierra. Mine are starting to crack too, even though they've got a mountain of tread left.

Generic brands same siza as my BFG's start from around $150 a pop.

If you've got the option go to a Goodyear tire centre, they've for a 'buy 3 and the fourth is free' deal at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello all.my question is about backspace.. what is 2.5 backspace in MM when i go to tire web sites it is MM Like +24 or +36 ,- 18 thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think that 31 10.5"s will fly with only 2" of lift. I have mine on the stock rims and they are fine, but they do rub on the springs when i turn all the way left or right. I have a spoa lift with 2" lift shackels and thay rub. Also I dont know what you are looking for in tires but i got mine at walmart they are a good year authority. They are great in the mud and it only cost me about $610 mounted balanced and everything. But if your looking at more of a mud tire look into the Kumho Road Venture MT KL71. I have them on my silverado and they are amazing. Just a lil info from my travels.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well ive decided to get new rims with it to stay on the safe side, but mainly so i can keep the muddies for play and not wear them down too quickly, and keep stock rims for stock sized H/T tires for through town efficiency.

will 15x8's make a difference with the rubbing? it have a 2" lift and front springs are less than 5 months old. or will i have to go for an offset rim...? if so, how much?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok well ive decided to get new rims with it to stay on the safe side, but mainly so i can keep the muddies for play and not wear them down too quickly, and keep stock rims for stock sized H/T tires for through town efficiency.

will 15x8's make a difference with the rubbing? it have a 2" lift and front springs are less than 5 months old. or will i have to go for an offset rim...? if so, how much?
The wider the rim won't matter if the offset doesn't change. When you get offset rims thats what moves the tires away from the rim. Even a 12" wide rim with factory offset would rub.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I run the common steel 8x15's on both street and trail rigs, but I also run 1" spacers/adapters to offset the rims to keep from rubbing. Offset rims are pricey, and I have destroyed my share of wheels on these trails. I would rather spend $38 each instead of $120 each time I screw up. Initial outlay for the Spidertrax adapters is about $100 for each axle, but you only have to buy them once.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I started using spacers when I went to a 10.5" wide tire. If you are using pizza cutters then you may not rub, but most 31.s end up around 10.5" or more.
The spacers will keep the tires off the springs at full lock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What are the size options between a standard tire and a 31? Best to get a tire to suit the purpose - I myself need something that's good as a commuter and as a beach runner and sandy trail blaster. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
What are the size options between a standard tire and a 31? Best to get a tire to suit the purpose - I myself need something that's good as a commuter and as a beach runner and sandy trail blaster. Any suggestions?
Well you don't really want to go any more agressive than an AT if your doing mostly on road and sand. If you run mud tires in the sand you will run into problems. They dig way too fast in sand and you'll find yourself sitting on the frame in the sand in no time. Atleast thats what has happened to me anytime i found myself in deep sand with MT's, and the conversion or the 31X10.5 R15 is about a 265/75R15.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...well if its only at full lock it rubs, it shouldnt be a problem to me as theyre only going to be on for a few hours a fortnight. do it this way until i can afford spacers...
i know its not ideal, but is it ok to just run spacers on the front? bearing in mind it only goes through town for about 5-10k to the track, then back. thats it.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You're going to be the best person to assess the clearance when you test fit.
On the trail, try avoiding loose brush that might get wedged between the springs/body and the inner sidewall. With less clearance there is more chance something can get stuck and take out a sidewall.:eek:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
no matter what size lift you have it won't make the rim any further away from the spring. The stock rim is a 5.5 inches with a 3.75 inch backspace. If you flip the rim over you will have 1.75 inch backspacing and the equivelant of running a 2 inch spacer. You can only do this with the wagonwheel style wheels though from what I understand. The spoked wheels have straight vertical bars and the bolt holes are countersunk on both sides so it can be flipped. The air valve will end up on the inside of the wheel, but if that's a huge issue with you you can always drill a hole for another valve on the outside.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well flipping it might be the way to go for now i think, it was something i was considering. other thing is ditch the sunraysia idea and go for a slightly better rim. might work out cheaper overall than getting spacers, but would have to look into it...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I ran mine flipped for quite a while with the stems on the inside. Only thing you need to do is shoot them with some spraypaint. the inside wasn't painted with a finish coat on mine... seems they were sealed with primer but I don't remember.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've read that while early Samurai wheels (8 triangular holes) can be reversed, but later Samurai OEM wheels (10 round holes) cannot. Both are presently (and regularly) for sale on eBay. Perhaps someone who has tried the later OEM wheels can confirm. The PO of my '93 EFI went to 7" rims and I've stayed with them.

Edit: Petroworks' recommendations at: http://www.petroworks.com/exterior_wheel.php
call for a 31" tire on a 15" x 8" wheel with a 2¾" back-space. For a lot of on-road & highway driving, I'm thinking that a 30" wheel on 7" rims is a better fit for me -- lighter tires and wheels, and no offset or reduced backspace required.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts