Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ongoing issue.. the signals works sometimes.. out of nowhere stop.. when they don't work the Hazards don't work either. I looked under dash.. wires look to be in tact..lights on dash.. and lights on exterior always work.. no problems.. I checked the fuses under dash.. all good.. and secure.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Bad flasher, or intermittent flasher connection?

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
While the hazards lights and turn signals work off of different fuses, they use the same turn relay, as well as the same ground. The ground is just above the fuse panel, under the dash on the left (driver in US) side. You should check the wiring connection for this ground, particularly if you find that both the turn signals and hazards go out at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it took so LONG. to Answer.. Hectic BUT THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED>.. A Mechanic INSTALLED MY RELAY.. he couldn't locate it.. I found it on Youtube and told him where it Was.. He found it and installed it.. OK.. It was MAKING A ZZZZ ZZZZZ ZAP Noise under the Dash. everytime I used the signals.. then it Kept doing it More.. he told me it was nothing.. Meanwhile.. My Horn and Radio and Signals went out on occasion during last Year.. THEN.. Smoke started coming from my STEERING WHEEL.. immediately shut it down.. took it too my regular guy.. said its the Turn Signals..Wiring Pack in the Wheel.. I Ordered it.. from Ebay.. It WAS JUST PUT IN>> I drove it Home.. and the ZZZZ ZZ ZAP noise still there.. when I turn on the SIGNALS.. is this a GROUND? or is this Signal Relay Switch Bad? Everything Works.. but the ZZZZ ZZZ noise is still there.. I wont Drive It.. I don't need smoking from the steering wheel.. Again.. Thanks... Cindy

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Your turn signal relay is mounted to the ECU under the dash behind the left front speaker. You need to isolate where the sound is coming from. The relay will have a green and yellow/white wire running to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have Located it.... I know the Wires..However I Cannot Trace the Ground Myself.. its loaded under there.. I will have to Hire someone to do it...I have Isolated the Sound!!! its zapping from the Signal Relay itself.. It didn't do that when the original was in there.. it just wouldn't blink.. then when I got the one from ebay.. got it put in.. and it started zapping.. so I went to Oreillys they had a compatible one.. so I put that in and it zaps.. im thinkin im getting the Wrong One.. Autozone sold me a wrong one and swore it would work..Do You Know where I can Get an Original One..

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Do yourself a real favor and NEVER say that you are driving a 1995 Geo Tracker. You are actually driving a rebadged 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. Suzuki is far better supported, and the information that you will get at your local store is far more accurate. No one really supports Geo anymore.....
That being said, you can get an OEM turn signal relay at a Suzuki dealer, or Rockauto:
1995 SUZUKI SIDEKICK Turn Signal Relay
I believe that the OEM part number is 38610-50A01

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the part from Rock Auto.from Intermotor. and it was same part number as the one I got on Ebay.. only that one was not packaged in new box.. I just got it and put it in.. and Its Still Buzzing.. I have changed the main switch controls in the steering wheel.. because it was Smoking.. which I Think was a Result of this Flasher Problem.. When I Spoke to the mechanic last week.. he said. get the part.. if it still buzzes could be the Pig Tail .. I have been lookin for that part online.. and its not on Rock Auto.. I called them and the People who answer the phone.. don't know.. Have Any Ideas.. Bex? I cannot see the ground there are tons of wires taped and flowing up into the dash.. I may have to get a mechanic to take this Dash board apart? Thanks For All your Help!...

·
Banned
329 Posts
Well I got the part from Rock Auto.from Intermotor. and it was same part number as the one I got on Ebay.. only that one was not packaged in new box.. I just got it and put it in.. and Its Still Buzzing.. I have changed the main switch controls in the steering wheel.. because it was Smoking.. which I Think was a Result of this Flasher Problem.. When I Spoke to the mechanic last week.. he said. get the part.. if it still buzzes could be the Pig Tail .. I have been lookin for that part online.. and its not on Rock Auto.. I called them and the People who answer the phone.. don't know.. Have Any Ideas.. Bex? I cannot see the ground there are tons of wires taped and flowing up into the dash.. I may have to get a mechanic to take this Dash board apart? Thanks For All your Help!...
I am not sure what pigtail he is referencing. The turn signal assembly on the steering wheel has a short pigtail of wires coming off of it, that then plugs into the main harness. But the pigtail isn't removable from the turn signal assembly (at least not just by unplugging it).
But it sounds like you have already replaced the turn signal assembly, which would also replace the pigtail I was talking about. So I don't see any of that being your issue.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I suspect by "pigtail" he means the plug including the connectors and wiring.

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
The fact that you advise that you have had smoking in your steering column would lead me to believe this is actually a wiring issue. I think you may have it backwards - the relay and switch may not be the problem, but the wiring to them, so that any new relay will still have the same buzzing as your old one, as it is still being fed by problematic wiring....Relays usually buzz when there is a drop in voltage - a short pulling voltage down, or high resistance causing the voltage to drop, etc. You need to check your connectors and trace the wiring for problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its the Part the Three PRong Flasher plugs into.black . its got three wires coming from it. .and they flow into the big group of wires under the dash..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today.. I got new Bulbs for Front and Rear Flashers.. Installed them.. I put in new Fuse.. I tried to disconnect the Flasher Socket. it has a plastic connector that runs to the other wires. I was unable to get it off.. wanted to clean it.. I Located the Ground Wires.. Under the Dash.. screwed into the wall of car.. Looks good and Secure.. I went to Advance and Car Quest.. neither had this Socket.. Because.. The Flasher only makes noise.. when I turn on the Left Directional.. I have pics of this Socket Connection and This Pigtail that runs under the dash that the Flasher goes too.... I cannot put them on here..

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
If you have your photos in your computer, go to the 'manage attachment' link that is halfway down the page where you are writing your response - click on that which opens another window allowing you to browse through your computer files to choose one to upload. What is the flasher 'socket' that you are trying to describe?? What are the color wires that go to it? Uploading your photo and describing what you are talking about will be helpful. Again, normally relays buzz because of low voltage going to them, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 96 2 door tracker with issues with the turn Signals. Sometimes THEY Work and sometimes they don't. The emergency flashers work. I have posted this issue on the Forum in the past.

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Pgyoerkoes, you should really bump up your original thread, if you haven't solved your problem!

Cindy - I'm no electrician, but I think that the trick here is to find circuits that are shared by both the left and right indicators as well as the hazards. The wiring to the left and right indicators are two separate wires. The grounds for all these circuits are different. The few things that they share in common is the wiring to the relay, the relay, and the combination switch. It appears from one of your photos - and from your last post - that you now have difficulty with the left side...only?? If the relay is continuing to buzz - and has been replaced - it would appear that you have low voltage going to it. Do you have a digital volt meter? The one 'hint' that you have given is the smoke from the steering column - this is one of the components that the hazards and turn signals share - the combination switch and the wires running through the combination switch to the turn relay. It would seem to make sense that the voltage going to the turn relay itself might be the cause of the problem. As both the turn signals and the hazards use the yellow/white wire from the combination switch to the turn relay, I would check the voltage on that, as well as the continuity on the yellow/white wire from the combi switch to the turn signal relay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to agree with Bex. You said you replaced relay a couple time's, you replaced the turn signal unit. stop replacing and start testing. Your issue is probably in the wiring. You said you found the ground and it looks good, don't let appearances fool you. Disconnect it and clean it make sure there's no rust or corrosion to impede the connection, also trace and test the wires that go to the turn signal circuit. You said it only does it on the left signal, trace that circuit. in case you don't have it here's the wiring diagram for 95 tracker.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts