Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Hit a deer last year and needed to replace the drivers side fender and do a little hammer/dolly work. Headlight smashed, grill, side marker.

So, new fender, things straightened up and bought a new set of headlights so both would match.

Everything matched up, all plugged in, but the turn signals are acting up.
With the headlights turned off the blinkers work fine, turn the headlights on and the new fronts don't work. The rears work fine either way, except that when the fronts don't work the blink rate goes up. (like when there is a bulb out)

Any ideas?
Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
Check the wiring grounds at the front of the car - and I'll take a bet with you - the headlights have nothing to do with the problem, it shows up when you turn on the park lights.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree ....

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Hmmm....unless you changed the wiring during your repair, the right hand turn signal/parking and marker light works off of a different ground than the left - the left hand ground behind the left hand headlight, and right hand ground by the washer reservoir.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd put money on it also, because they are probably right. I had this exact issue last year when replacing my passenger side headlight unit because it was fogged up. The wiring on the replacement fixture was different than the wiring in the original (I can't remember how, I would need to walk out too the truck to see). I had to use the old signal wiring and secure it to the new unit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got a chance to work on the Tracker. Still no luck.

The wiring harness was not damaged in the deer collision, although the drivers side headlight unit was smashed.
Passenger side was fine, but I replaced with new unit so both headlights would match and look nice and shinny.

All connections are stock, no cuts or splices.

Fordem is correct that the problem begins when running lights are engaged. With no lights on all turn signals work, but blink rate is higher than normal, turn on running lights/headlights and the front turn signals no longer work but rears still operate. All running lights work fine including side markers.

When I check the ground on the turn signal bulb holder, good ground.
Not sure where else to check the ground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, got it figured out.

The new headlights did come with the short pig tails from the turn signal bulb holders to the harness.
After some experimentation with some older bulbs it became apparent that the wiring on the new pig tails was reversed.

So, sip and solder, green wire to red, red wire to green and all is well.

CCC (cheap chinese crap)

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Ah, glad you got it sorted - and yes, Chinese stuff can be somewhat of an adventure - often not a good one....:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts