Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: Hello Folks,

I just recently buyed the GrandVitara 2.0 Turbo Diesel intercooler here in Panama. I was wondering about the tips related to the TDi engine. I found someplaces in the web saying that the engine shouldn't be stopped inmediately after a long use, because the turbo is still working and can be damaged by a suddenly stops in oil pressure (same oil is used to lubricate the engine as well as the TD). Some people recommended wait at least 30 seconds before stop the engine.

Now, when I arrive to someplace, I do wait the "reglamentary" 30 seconds before turn off the engine. I was wondering if anyone here knows about this matter or can give more precise advice for people like me, that has just began the journey with a Grand Vitara TDi.

Thanks in advance....

PD. There are more questions to come... .

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is true and a good rule to follow when driving any turbocharged vehicle. The turbo is very reliant on lubrication, and switching off, for example after a long fast run, will cause heat build up on the bearings due to the instantaneous termination of the oil supply. The net result is that some of the oil burns producing carbon. If you do this often enough the eventual carbon build up will trap the compressor shaft which will then no longer rotate, and you'll have no turbo boost (and a big bill!).

So, always drive the engine up to normal operating temperature before making it work hard, and always let it idle, particularly after hard work, before switching off, and the turbo will last a lot longer than if you don't. Regular oil changes with good quality oil will also help prolong it's life too.

Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts