Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long have I wanted to turbocharge the Sami. I figured since I haven't yet done the wiring for the 16v motor and tranny swap, now would be a good time. I know that others have had the same idea so I decided to document my progress. Of which there is very little so far:p But I have started the turbo header for a T3 turbo. I was given several turbos while I worked at my last job and was given a blow-off valve by a friend at my current job. I will post pictures as I complete each step but to get started is a few pictures of the merge into the inlet flange. I had a local shop laser the inlet and outlet flanges for the turbo for $10 each and I'm reusing the exhaust flange from my old Calmini header.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
progress report

I've made a little more progress on the header. Overtime and laziness have slowed me down but I'll have it finished next week. Then it's on to other things like an intercooler. Can't find one that will fit in with my plan (at least not at a price I'm willing to pay for) so it looks like I'm going to make my own. Pictures of the almost finished header

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
trans mount

I know it's not common to use the Tracker trans, so I thought I'd throw this pic in here. This is the mount I made for the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rhinoman, although I'm doing this for myself and posting to give others ideas, it's still nice to hear some feedback

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
intercooler problem- solved!

Haven't yet finished the header although it's closer than it was. Only have 2 hours after work I can use the shop for myself and overtime has been getting in the way. It wasn't that big of a deal because I didn't yet have an intercooler to continue on to the next step which mounting the radiator and intercooler. Found one today though. I was looking for a 9X9X4 core to build my own, but the cheapest I found was around $250. Today I found a CXRacing intercooler for $105 shipped. I'll cut one end down 1.5" and put the inlet and outlet on the other side facing back towards the engine. This core is 9X7.5X4. Sounds small, I know, but I'm only looking to get 150 HP out of the Sami right now. That might change later on, but for now I'm just trying to get it back on the road. I've driven it once in the past 2 years, and that was when I drove it to my old shop to yank out the 1.3L.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cost so far

T3 inlet/outlet flanges $20
header bends $160 (would have been $20 cheaper if I had ordered correctly the first time)
BOV $20 (from a friend)
intercooler $105
universal intercooler pipe kit $95
turbo free
exhaust flange free (off old header)

Not looking too bad so far:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished the header, although before I actually put the Sami back on the road I'll probably have it E-polished. But I'm eager to continue so... on to the intercooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very cool project, good work so far.

Thanks for the pics of the transmission mount. I bought a samurai recently with a tracker tranny swapped in with a very poor mount. Just wondering why a person swaps in a tracker tranny to begin with. I've noticed in comparison to my friends samurai that the position of the shifter is better and its a bit smoother but other then that I'm not sure. Any input on why you went with the tracker tranny might help me understand. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than the tracker trans being slightly more stout, the #1 reason for using it was that the Sami's trans was on its last leg and I didn't see the point in rebuilding the stock trans and then buying or making an adapter plate when I have a perfectly good trans lying around. I bought the whole tracker (slightly smashed) for $600. That would have been a good deal for the motor and trans, but I also got the seats, power steering and wiring harness too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suspect similiar reasoning was behind the owner before me in his swap, thanks again. Now to make a better tranny mount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of curiosity did you also go with the tracker rear differential? If so what did you do/are you going to do to make up for the 5" difference from front to rear differentials?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The trans is from a 2wd tracker and I'm using the samurai t-case. Trackers and samurais use the same u-joint, so I'm using the tracker slip on the end of a shortened intermediate shaft. The rear is from the samurai with a limited-slip and 4.57 ring and pinion installed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. Quite a different setup then i've got unfortunately. Tracker transmission, t-case and rear differential. Good luck on your turbo, real cool project.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the intercooler (4 days late) and the snorkel today. That's everything I need to finish the cold side. Just need to get my ass in gear and finish this thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
snorkel

By the way, I got the snorkel from jdm-motorparts for $198 shipped which was the cheapest I found unless you want one made out of fiberglass

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
back at it again

No excuses, I just didn't feel like working on the sami. But I'm back at it now. I just couldn't make the intercooler I bought fit the way I wanted so I found one that was close and hacked it up a bit. Here's the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I still have to run the pipe, but what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Almost done!

Well, the samurai is at my buddies shop to get the wiring done. I can't be bothered with such trivial things (and I hate doing it.) I know I haven't posted a lot of the pictures recently, but I figured I can take the pictures when it's done. I'm ready to start driving it again! More pictures soon:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts