Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the time I spent in Japan, it seemed like a large number of the Suzuki models there were turbocharged, many of them no doubt to get around the 660(?) cc rule for minicars. In other words, 660cc engine with a turbo can qualify for "Kei" car status which has its benefits, but can approximate the power of a much larger displacement engine, which if put in the same car, would negate the "kei" status.

One problem, of course, is that with such a tiny 658 cc engine (on the Wagon R RR) and other restrictions, the turbocharging seems to have little effect in the horsepower category. But the torque gain is HUGE.

Compare the naturally aspirated Wagon R to the turbocharged version:

Capacity (Both engines)
658 cc
658 cc

Horsepower
N/A: 54 hp
Turbo: 64 hp

Torque:
N/A :46 lbft
Turbo: 76 lbft

That's almost double the torque - and you WILL feel that.

Because there are no real engine size restrictions for the kinds of cars Suzuki offers in the US, it is more cost efficient to offer larger displacement engines. But I'd love to see at least one turbo model offered here, such as a mildly turbocharged AWD Aerio, or the upcoming next generation Swift. Sometimes it is less about making money, and more about creating an image. A turbocharged engine in a car that doesn't cost over 20 grand would be welcomed here, I think.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Alot of sales have to do with street cred. Especially when you are trying to sale a sporty car. When someone is talking to a friend about the possibility of buying a Aerio T (turbo) and the other friend says "Yeah man! those things are bad-ass, I saw one last week take out a SE-R Spec-V!" The picture is drawn for whoever is asking that the Suzuki is worth buying because he will be able to compete with more expensive cars!

Good suggestion let's write a letter to ASMC pronto!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm down with that idea if you guys are. Let's start a letter writing campaign to Suzuki, begging for some turbo action! :D

And I don't think its necessary to have the biggest baddest horsepower - an affordable turbocharged car would be just as nice. Subaru manages to do it, Suzuki should too!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree! Hey I would buy one if they made it! Are we gonna make a single letter and have everyone copy it, sign it, and send it? Or are we gonna write individual letters?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Tim04@Oct 20 2004, 10:39 AM
I agree! Hey I would buy one if they made it! Are we gonna make a single letter and have everyone copy it, sign it, and send it? Or are we gonna write individual letters?
I think single letters are better, but we might have more impact if we all ask for basically the same thing.

So what I have in mind is:

A. A new for the US market, Scion sized car with a Turbo, such as the Kei Works:

OR

B. A turbocharger for an existing Suzuki car, such as the Aerio.

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Since SWT performance parts are coming, I'm guessing a turbo/supercharger will be available for the Aerio. It'll probably boost HP to 195-210...somewhere in that region.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would rather see a turbo Aerio with stock 17 inch rims, recaro seats, MP3 capable head unit, beefed up suspension, brakes, w/AWD for under 20,000. It's possible right? I think it is!(maybe i'm dreaming) Or they can do what Dodge did with the Neon ACR. Just give a bare bones car and a strong engine and suspension. Or even better yet make both options ACR style(Bare Bones) and a "Super Nice" SWT Special Edition or something like that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so the plan seems to be - write individual letters (e-mails) to Suzuki asking for a turbocharger or Supercharger for the Aerio, and I'd love to see a factory turbocharged Aerio with AWD as well! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts