Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and just bought a 97 Geo Tracker (4 door, 4x4, 16V engine, Auto) and i'm looking to do a "new" vehicle tune-up, figured this is a good place to start. I know the typical things like oil/filter, spark plugs, wires that look iffy, fluid top off, check diff/trans/t-case fluids, air filter. Is there anything beyond normal tune-up procedure that i should look for/replace? This truck will end up being my DD until my other truck is complete in a few months (Street legal Ford Ranger pre-runner build). after that i plan on lifting the Tracker and doing bad things to it... haha ;)

This is the Tracker

and this is the Ranger Build

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
Timing belt & tensioner unless you know it has been changed at the recommended interval.

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
A typical 60K check is a good place to start:
All fluids, filters, tune up, timing belt, ignition wires, checking hoses, replace o2 sensor if more than 100,000 miles on the car, check brakes and brake lines, clean the EGR valve if it's never been done. The FSM recommends replacing the PCV and EVAP canister at 100,000 miles, as well. Of course, I've done neither....:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've heard of the timing belts needing to be replaced. How hard is that to do? i'm good with a wrench if someone has a basic "how to" or could explain it. Everything else is pretty standard, i can handle the rest pretty easily. My CEL is on for the EGR valve too, probably needs to be cleaned/replaced. Best way to clean it?

on a side note wtf is this??????

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
That's the automatic transmission Power/Normal switch - in the "Power" position it moves the shift points higher in the rev band, allowing you to perhaps better utilize the engine's power band for towing, hill climbing, etc. - in the "Normal" position the transmission upshifts at a lower rpm, allowing better for fuel consumption.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the automatic transmission Power/Normal switch - in the "Power" position it moves the shift points higher in the rev band, allowing you to perhaps better utilize the engine's power band for towing, hill climbing, etc. - in the "Normal" position the transmission upshifts at a lower rpm, allowing better for fuel consumption.
I figured it was some sort of crazy electronic parking brake assist or something. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts