Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I bought a second hand 2004 2.0l Grand Vitara and have been having problems changing gears into 1st (and reverse is especially bad). The previous owner said he replaced the clutch 50,000km’s ago so I‘m thinking that’s not the issue. All fluids have also been topped up. I haven’t found anyone with a solution so far.

Cheers, Jones

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
You do have the symptoms of clutch related problems despite the somewhat recent clutch work. :cautious:

It would depend as to what the clutch replacement efforts consisted of, quality of inspection / repair efforts (assuming nothing has since failed), to aid now in helping to rule out a clutch problem.

Can you shift the trans with the clutch pushed in and engine OFF with success? IF so, that would indicate a clutch issue, more specifically a lack of full clutch disengagement.

Have you no more than an inch of pedal free-play measured at the upper extreme travel?

Also, has transmission gear oil change maintenance been conducted and drained oil inspected for debris? Something to ponder before pulling back apart the clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do have the symptoms of clutch related problems despite the somewhat recent clutch work. :cautious:

It would depend as to what the clutch replacement efforts consisted of, quality of inspection / repair efforts (assuming nothing has since failed), to aid now in helping to rule out a clutch problem.

Can you shift the trans with the clutch pushed in and engine OFF with success? IF so, that would indicate a clutch issue, more specifically a lack of full clutch disengagement.

Have you no more than an inch of pedal free-play measured at the upper extreme travel?

Also, has transmission gear oil change maintenance been conducted and drained oil inspected for debris? Something to ponder before pulling back apart the clutch.
Hey Max, thanks for the advise.
Tested that out over the last few days. It seems that from time to time it is still difficult to move into reverse even when the car is off. There is probably an inch of free play with the pedal at the top. I can tap it at the top end with my foot and it bounces a little. The oil was completely drained and renewed- not sure if it was inspected for debris or not though.
Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts