Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2001 Suzuki esteem code Po705 which is the trans range sensor comes up and the o/d light flashed when driving, Automatic trans slips badly in drive and drive 2 and will not shift from 1st gear. The car will start in park and neutral which seems to indicate the range sensor is working. Checked the TRS and harness connection for damage and moisture but all seems to be ok. Took TRS apart, cleaned and checked each wire for continuity. The code read out says possible causes could be PCM malfunction, a short in TPS or TRS is shorted. Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have no ideas to offer on what the cause of your trouble code BUT....I have recently experienced the flashing O/D when I engage the O/D button on shifter when going up a steep grade.

Initially only the O/D would occur, and rarely at best. Now I'm also experiencing the auto tranny doing a short/quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear and seems to only happen when first driving into work, car is cool from sitting all night.

No codes, no check engine light, no other problems experienced. Something to add is about 2 months ago the trans fluid ran completely out from a leak...filled it back up and seemed fine. Only drove it for @ 3/4 mile before stopping until fluid was added.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
P0705 is when the TCM detects a mismatch between selected gear position, actual gear requested and vehicle speed.

When the vehicle is moving and there are contradictory signals being received by the computer, such as the TRS signal indicates that the vehicle is in park, however the speed sensor indicates that it is moving, the code P0705 is set. External TRS failure is common as age and mileage accumulates. It's exposed to the weather and elements, and as with any printed circuit tends to corrode over time. Cleaning regularly fails to correct the issue.
The upside to this is they are not an expensive repair and easy to replace.
Later models with the transmission range sensor located in the valve body are a different ball game. The range sensor is separate from the neutral safety switch and reverse backup light switch. Its mission is the same, but it's replacement has now become a more serious matter both in difficulty and expense. The easiest method for determining which type is used on your vehicle is to look up the part on your local auto parts website. If it is not listed it's internal.

I have no ideas to offer on what the cause of your trouble code BUT....I have recently experienced the flashing O/D when I engage the O/D button on shifter when going up a steep grade.

Initially only the O/D would occur, and rarely at best. Now I'm also experiencing the auto tranny doing a short/quick shift from 1st to 2nd gear and seems to only happen when first driving into work, car is cool from sitting all night.

No codes, no check engine light, no other problems experienced. Something to add is about 2 months ago the trans fluid ran completely out from a leak...filled it back up and seemed fine. Only drove it for @ 3/4 mile before stopping until fluid was added.
now, to your little problem. Flashing O/D light indicates a fault in the system that the TCM has detected and that a code is stored. I would suggest you get the TCM codes read and find out what there are in the TCM brains. Hopefully your reader can get "P" codes out of it.
The short shift 1 -> 2 and lack of O/D can be a pressure issue and could be the result of you losing the oil and replacing it stirring up any sludge in the sump clogging the valve body or the filter. Usually O/D will only engage when oil is hot enough and vehicle speed and loading is such that it is possible to run that gear. Usually any incline will see the trans come out of O/D pretty quickly.
The 3/4 mile driving with low oil concerns me, Did you drive it till it stopped? or did you know you had a leak and kept driving?
This is enough distance to overheat the trans severely and cause control solenoids to stick and clutches to wear / plates to warp, especially the O/D clutch pack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.... When I experienced the almost entire loss of tranny fluid I had just replaced both half shafts and the passenger side didn't click into the tranny all the way (which I suspected).

The short drive was intentional because I did note the leak but though it wasn't as severe and after 2 days of being under the car (I also replaced the struts, lower control arms, tie rod ends, and all bushings at this time), I was itching to give her a spin.

Half way through I heard weird whirling sound and immediately thought it was tranny/leak related. Got home fine and saw the leak was from the passenger side seal due to the shaft not seating.

Figured out I had a bad prefab shaft, got a replacement and filled up the tranny. No issues since other than what I described above.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I suspect you have stirred up any sludge in the system with the significant oil loss and subsequent refill and managed to restrict the oil pickup filter. The noise you heard could also have been a clutch pack running dry. My first course of action would be to check the line pressures to at least rule out that side of things. If they are within spec but slow to get there, then its a sludge or relief valve issue. At that point, drain the oil and drop the pan and clean or replace the filter. If the oil is not smelling burnt then thats a good sign. If it smells burnt then thats an indication of deeper clutch pack issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No burnt smells and checking ATF regularly, still looking new. Any tips on a DIY version of a pressure test?

Thanks for your advice,
Jake

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
DIY version? screw a pressure gauge into the test port on the transmission and check pressures against the FSM for that model of transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0705 is when the TCM detects a mismatch between selected gear position, actual gear requested and vehicle speed.

When the vehicle is moving and there are contradictory signals being received by the computer, such as the TRS signal indicates that the vehicle is in park, however the speed sensor indicates that it is moving, the code P0705 is set. External TRS failure is common as age and mileage accumulates. It's exposed to the weather and elements, and as with any printed circuit tends to corrode over time. Cleaning regularly fails to correct the issue.
Later models with the transmission range sensor located in the valve body are a different ball game. The range sensor is separate from the neutral safety switch and reverse backup light switch. Its mission is the same, but it's replacement has now become a more serious matter both in difficulty and expense. The easiest method for determining which type is used on your vehicle is to look up the part on your local auto parts website. If it is not listed it's internal.

now, to your little problem. Flashing O/D light indicates a fault in the system that the TCM has detected and that a code is stored. I would suggest you get the TCM codes read and find out what there are in the TCM brains. Hopefully your reader can get "P" codes out of it.
The short shift 1 -> 2 and lack of O/D can be a pressure issue and could be the result of you losing the oil and replacing it stirring up any sludge in the sump clogging the valve body or the filter. Usually O/D will only engage when oil is hot enough and vehicle speed and loading is such that it is possible to run that gear. Usually any incline will see the trans come out of O/D pretty quickly.
The 3/4 mile driving with low oil concerns me, Did you drive it till it stopped? or did you know you had a leak and kept driving?
This is enough distance to overheat the trans severely and cause control solenoids to stick and clutches to wear / plates to warp, especially the O/D clutch pack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts