Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this gv about a month ago after my wife rolled our ford explorer.. soo far i love this little spunky thing.. i only have a few concerns. one would be it has 75k on it and i dont have any service records with the vehicle and after looking over this site i can see i might need to have the valves look at but more important than that im a little worried that the car dealership that i bought it from might have changed the trans fluid and possible put the wrong fluid in.. could be my imagination but 1st gear seems very short and sometimes shifts a little hard into second.. maybe this is normal idk... all other gears seem to shift in and out of very smooth.. does anyone have any isight in this area???

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just bought this gv about a month ago after my wife rolled our ford explorer.. soo far i love this little spunky thing.. i only have a few concerns. one would be it has 75k on it and i dont have any service records with the vehicle and after looking over this site i can see i might need to have the valves look at but more important than that im a little worried that the car dealership that i bought it from might have changed the trans fluid and possible put the wrong fluid in.. could be my imagination but 1st gear seems very short and sometimes shifts a little hard into second.. maybe this is normal idk... all other gears seem to shift in and out of very smooth.. does anyone have any isight in this area???
Get it checked for your Peace of Mind, but that is common when shifting to GV. Felt the same for 2nd to 3rd and yes 1st is short ->But again 1st is meant to get the car rolling only.

Once you get use to Gear Shifts it will become normal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get it checked for your Peace of Mind, but that is common when shifting to GV. Felt the same for 2nd to 3rd and yes 1st is short ->But again 1st is meant to get the car rolling only.

Once you get use to Gear Shifts it will become normal.
Thanks i dont think i need to get it checked out im sure i will be doing a full fluid change as soon as the weather gets nice out.. i have put a little over 1,000 miles on it since i got it im sure if it wasnt the right fluid it would have destroyed the trans by now... over all its just a little more peppy than my old explorer.. that thing weighed a ton haha i think im really going to like the gv more and more as time goes on

·
Super Moderator
13,718 Posts
I think you're gonna love the fuel consumption - compared to the Exploder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was getting around 17 if i was lucky with the explorer.. i have filled up a few times now and i have calculated about 21 and thats with no highway driving.. soo looking forward to calculating an all highway trip.. one thing i will say about the explorer is that it saved my wife and daughters life.. went threw a pole and rolled the car 3 times and both walked away without a scratch.. and my unborn baby boy was safe in all of that too.. Heaven for bid anything would ever happen like that again i hope the gv can keep her just as safe..

·
Super Moderator
13,718 Posts
My experience with the Exploder is in the 9~13 mpg area, I think I saw 19 on the highway a couple of times.

Whilst I hope you never have to put it to the test, you can rest assured the GV is equally tough - a friend on mine T boned an F150 with hers - the F150 spun in the wet and ended up sideways across the oncoming lanes blocking her path - she hit the F150 and was then rear ended by the guy behind her - I was a couple of vehicles behind the F150 and witnessed the entire thing.

The front & rear of the GV were demolished, but the passenger compartment was intact, and in fact, showed no signs of distortion.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You didn't say what year and engine your GV has. This will determine what transmission it has. All GV's sold with the 2.7V6 in North America had a 5-spd automatic. It does have low gearing, so shifts happen sooner than you expect, the engine revs high at high speeds, and launches are quick. In fact, up to about 40mph, the 2.7 GV's accelerate faster than the much-vaunted V6 Rav4's.

Compared to Ford pickups, the GV's mileage is good. Even better if you have a 4-cyl. Even better if you have a rear-wheel drive only model. Having said that, modern small suv's generally get much better mileage. The GV's mileage is limited by the weight of extra systems like a large battery, robust frame and transfer case. The high gearing costs mileage, as does full-time awd.

Compared to the Escape Hybrid AWD we have now, the Escape gets about 30% better mileage than the GV on the highway, and twice as good in city driving. Quite amazing, actually, and the Escape is a larger vehicle. But the Escape's build quality is the pits, while the GV is the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned.

Edit: I checked your "garage" and see that you have an '06. So it should be the same as ours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does alright on gas just did a fill up today and got 20.25 mpg. I have noticed that the fuel gauge is a lot more true than any other car i have driven for any extent of time. The fuel loss seems to be more even as it drains.. falls the same from full to half as it does from half to E... seems like I am missing some room in that tank tho.. filled up today with about 3/16 of a tank left and could only put a little over 11 gallon in.. specs say it has a 17.2 gallon tank i believe could be off a little but still.. that means that most likley when the low fuel light comes on there will be prob 4 to 4.5 gallon left that seems a little early for the fuel light to come on usually its about 2 gallon or 30 miles left after the fuel light comes on.. has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing i just noticed tonight on the way home.. im not sure if its something new or was always this way just noticed it tonight is that the transmission seems to almost drag when you let off the gas i noticed it doesnt do it when going down a hill in neutral but it does seem to hold the car back a bit when in gear.. is this normal or should i be looking into it more?

·
Registered
158 Posts
another thing i just noticed tonight on the way home.. Im not sure if its something new or was always this way just noticed it tonight is that the transmission seems to almost drag when you let off the gas i noticed it doesnt do it when going down a hill in neutral but it does seem to hold the car back a bit when in gear.. Is this normal or should i be looking into it more?
normal. You will actually get better mileage if you leave it in gear going downhill. The engine dragging will turn off the injectors. And if you put it in neutral it takes fuel to keep engine running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
normal. You will actually get better mileage if you leave it in gear going downhill. The engine dragging will turn off the injectors. And if you put it in neutral it takes fuel to keep engine running.
I actually never put any vehicle in neutral going down a hill the only reason i put the gv into neutral going down the hill was to check and see if my front brakes were dragging because i believe my front rotors are warped and are getting changed next weekend.. I have noticed that the gv is a lot different than any other vehicle that i have driven.. not in a bad way im learning just different.. most cars i believe when you let off the gas they unlock the torque converter and the car tends to coast more than the gv tends too. but its nice to know that everything i find a little off seem to be fairly "normal" for the gv haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know what you mean about not coasting. My AWD van will coast on slight downhills forever, it seems. The GV slows down right away. Like you say, not bad, just different.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts