Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have a 4x4 5 speed tracker with a bad transmission.

When I was driving it the 3rd and 4th gear are having problems.
The 4th gear sticks really hard, but wont move the car at all. I can feel the teeth trying to grab but its like its not going in far enough.
3rd goes in rough, but did drive.

Then 3rd stopped working too.

Then none of the gears would grab and the clutch got completely squishy.

I'm thinking I'm looking at a new clutch and rebuilding the transmission.

Ive replaced a few clutches on Geo Metros, but never on a tracker. I was planning on buying a service manual for the tracker so I'd have detailed instructions on what to do, but before I got started buying parts I figured I'd ask for ideas as to what could have gone wrong on it.

Could it all be clutch related?

What brand Clutch should I buy?

If I need to rebuild the transmission what all will I need? I found transmission kits with a quick google search, but I dont know what brands are good or if the kits will have everything I need.

Is there anything else I should replace while I have it open?

Are there any performance mods I might want to do while I'm rebuilding it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Hmmm.....when you started having trouble, did you check the transmission fluid to see its level and condition? Have you checked the cable for its routing and to see if it was kinked anywhere (and check your firewall for cracks, by the way, where the cable goes through). I probably would check/replace the cable first, before replacing the clutch, and would confirm the condition of the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.....when you started having trouble, did you check the transmission fluid to see its level and condition? Have you checked the cable for its routing and to see if it was kinked anywhere (and check your firewall for cracks, by the way, where the cable goes through). I probably would check/replace the cable first, before replacing the clutch, and would confirm the condition of the tranny fluid.
I had the cable snap when i first go the tracker and i replaced it. I'll check to make sure its all connected correctly when I get home.

The front right axle was leaking for a while. (its been parked for a while)
I opened the fill hole and added fluid. It didnt even take 1/4th of the bottle. Are there more than one area to fill? I filled where you remove the plug with a ratchet and no socket. :/

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Axle, as in differential? The tranny has its own fill plug (GL-4, safe for yellow metal), as does the transfer case, and both diffs (GL-5). You should check the tranny to see if you have fluid.
There is a little test for the cable routing - have someone in the car and get under the car to the end of the cable where it connects to the tranny. If you disconnect the end of it, and then push that lever in until you feel resistance, then have the person in the car depress the clutch pedal. The cable should move forward about one inch, and the sheath (covering) should not move at all. The cable exerts a tremendous amount of pressure, and can crack your firewall, break the welds at the pedal, etc., if its not routed properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Axle, as in differential? The tranny has its own fill plug (GL-4, safe for yellow metal), as does the transfer case, and both diffs (GL-5). You should check the tranny to see if you have fluid.
There is a little test for the cable routing - have someone in the car and get under the car to the end of the cable where it connects to the tranny. If you disconnect the end of it, and then push that lever in until you feel resistance, then have the person in the car depress the clutch pedal. The cable should move forward about one inch, and the sheath (covering) should not move at all. The cable exerts a tremendous amount of pressure, and can crack your firewall, break the welds at the pedal, etc., if its not routed properly.
I'm sorry my terminology is a bit limited at best. I'm used to working on Geo Metros, the tracker is my first non front only drive car.

Ok looked online at a diagram and the seal that broke is called a drive shaft oil seal. Its on the front passenger wheel.

Do you have a diagram to where I'm supposed to fill that back up? I can look when I get back to the car, but figured a diagram might be useful.

I ordered a Haynes manual, a shop manual, and a complete 2 volume shop manual last night for it, but they haven't come in yet for me to find a diagram.

·
Registered
993 Posts
With the car shut off can you shift through the gears? Try putting it in 4th the start the car and let out the clutch and see if it moves. Sounds like it is the cable to me the wrong cable may have been installed.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Don't rely too much on the Haynes - it has tons of misinformation. If you've ordered a factory service manual, it's far better. Or search the forum. However, neither of those places have a diagram that I can find, of these plugs.
If you get under the car, on the passenger side (right side) you'll see two metal plugs with square sockets in them on the side of the tranny - one maybe 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the tranny, and another one further up. The bottom one is the drain plug, and the one above it - that looks exactly the same with the same plug for a square socket - is the fill plug. Make sure you can get the fill plug off before you drain the tranny oil out!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you can put it in 4th start the car and let out the clutch you can at least eliminate major tranny problems. Can you use the clutch in all other gears? Levels of gear oil would not affect only a couple gears. Is the car lifted, body lift or suspension lift. Sometimes lifts will throw off the geometry of the shifter linkage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not lifted in any way. the clutch cable is intact and installed correctly. I need to pick up some gas for it so I can try to get it started. It didnt want to start this week. :/ I dont think it would even move in 4th when I had it going. Im pretty sure i tried starting it in each gear so I could get it off the road.

I'm pretty sure its going to need a rebuild.

I ordered a the service manual as well as a few other manuals for the car.

Im about to order the geo tracker specialty tool kit, a rebuild kit, and a new clutch.

I have a few questions on the last two if anyone knows.

What rebuild kit should I get? Theres a few options out there and I dont know which one is going to last me a long time. Id rather spend a bit of extra money now and know that its going to last.

I've also seen a ton of different clutch options. Ebay has a million different options and I have no idea what would be best. Ive only ever bought stock ones for a geo metro. What do the different stages mean and should I bother with it?

I drive a lot of country roads and do a fair amount of off roading. I'm a pretty quick driver and pull people outta ditches and stuff. Would a different stage clutch help me do any of that? Do some last a lot longer than others? What have you had success with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.