Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please! I need your help! My u joint to my intermediate drive shaft broke on the transmission side and ended up breaking off part of my tail housing.How do I replace the housing with the tail bracket being in the way without pulling the whole transmission out??The cross member that my bracket is connected to is welded on instead of being bolted on.. Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
How do I replace the housing with the tail bracket being in the way without pulling the whole transmission out??The cross member that my bracket is connected to is welded on instead of being bolted on.. Thanks!
I'm a little confused on your description of the cross member being welded, instead of bolted. As far as I know, they're all welded, with the rear transmission mount being bolted to the cross member at one end and the transmission tail housing at the other.

I don't think it's possible to replace the tail housing w/o removing the transmission from the car. Pretty tough to reach the upper bolts. Also, not enough room to slide the tail housing back off the main shaft, with the rear cross member in the way. You're going to have trouble getting it back together, too, with the fifth and reverse idler gear staying in place and getting the sealant in place, for the tail housing (no gaskets were used on the transmission).

Look again at your transmission. I'll bet you can pull it out. It's not that tough a job and the engine does not need to come out, as Suzuki says in their service manual. There is just enough room, if you cut a small notch in the rear transmission mount, on the frame cross member. It allows just enough clearance for the reinforcing "fin" on the tail housing to fit into and allow the input shaft to clear the pressure plate, on the other end.

Try a search on here for more information.

Good luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts