Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a little high centering the crossmember that supports my transmission is cracked and needs replacing. I've got a 94 four door with a 5 speed. I'm going to get one from a wrecker but do I need one from the same configuration or will an auto and/or 2 door crossmember work?
Cheers!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
I am not too familiar with this, as I don't do my own welding - that being said, I have had a number of crossmembers replaced, and the welders have just used square tubing (difficult to find the round here) that is cut to size. That being said, I know that the frame rails on the 2 door are narrower than on the 4 door (so, for example, you cannot use a 4 door gas tank on a 2 door as the tank is too wide), so I would assume that the same goes for the crossmembers, as well. I would think that the 2 door cross members will not be long enough.

·
Registered
191 Posts
mine used to be an auto 2 door and the cross member from the 4 door standard fit just used it when I did the trans swap because mine was a little less pretty =P

·
Banned
329 Posts
Due to a little high centering the crossmember that supports my transmission is cracked and needs replacing. I've got a 94 four door with a 5 speed. I'm going to get one from a wrecker but do I need one from the same configuration or will an auto and/or 2 door crossmember work?
Cheers!
Dave
Any 4wd crossmember (assuming yours is 4wd) from a 2 door or 4 door 89-98 trackick (NOT 96-98 Sidekick Sports) should swap in fine.
The 2 door and 4 door non-sport trackick frames are the same width at the crossmember.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
The 2 door and 4 door non-sport trackick frames are the same width at the crossmember.
Interesting. I leave my frame work to a professional welder. But am curious as to why then the 4 door gas tank won't fit in the 2 door?? There is a cross member in front of the gas tank (my original one long gone)....????

·
Banned
329 Posts
Interesting. I leave my frame work to a professional welder. But am curious as to why then the 4 door gas tank won't fit in the 2 door?? There is a cross member in front of the gas tank (my original one long gone)....????
The tranny/tcase support crossmember bolts in, so I am not sure why you would do any welding to replace it.
According to the chassis drawings, the frame widths are the same at the gas tank area as well. I seem to recall the mounting points are different for the 2dr vs. 4dr tanks...but I might be wrong on that. I don't recall how the 4 door tank gets its extra ~3 gallons of capacity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts