Suzuki Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trans Range Sensor

Step daughters 2008 Forenza has all the symptoms, bought an actual Suzuki replacement part on ebay. Will install it tonite, but found replacements cheaper at Rock Auto, wish she never bought this piece of crap, been nothing but an electrical nightmare, later guys..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trans Range Sensor

Installed trans range sensor last night, pain in the ass to line up the splines untill I took a file to the unit and made some room to wiggle it. Then it fell on, more or less. Centered the mounting bolts in the elongated slots. Damn thing works perfect now. At least till the next major malfunction. Which could be at any second with this piece of crap car. Thanks for all the info on this site. Couldn't keep this junker running without it, thanx guys..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, another victim of this defective part checking in and thanking Mr buttramd for the guide! Will try to replace the part a soon as I get it, but!!! I have some questions, hope somebody can help. #1 the check engine light is on and the codes P0700 and P0705 showed up on scanner, that's what brought me here but the car is driving just fine, I'm not having any problems with the auto tranny, should I still replace the TRS? dont want to deal with the dealer, just spent 1300 dollars (parts and labor) replacing all 4 struts (looks like this car eats them for snacks). # 2 has anybody bought the sensor from oem suzuki parts (dot) com? is it reliable? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. Sorry I thought I had replied to your post. So the codes would indicate a problem with the TRS. I would think you would be getting the scrambled gear indicator on the dash but maybe that doesn't always happen. I would think replacing the part would fix the problem but I'm not a mechanic and diagnosis over the PC isn't an easy thing :) I haven't dealt with oemsuzukicarparts.com I have used Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store and RockAuto Parts Catalog both decent sellers. Any other questions or problems just ask!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the answer 7-even! So it looks like I've been lucky that I havent had the scrambled gear indicator and the clunk gear spit everybody mentions. But hmmm! now after going to the shop to get the car scanned, I know once the codes are retrieved the check engine light gets reseted (I think, is this right?). Well, the light is been gone since that day. What does this mean?
Could you give me the part # for the TRS so I can find it on the websites you mentioned? my car is 2007 Reno with 59900 miles.
Thanks again for your help man!

·
Registered
75 Posts
First, you need to know that I am a computer programmer in the Air Force. I am not a mechanic. However, since I am enlisted in the Air Force, married, 6 kids ... I do a lot of my own work on my cars. :)

My Transmission Range Sensor recently went bad on me. So, I replaced it. However, the information on what to buy, where to get it, how much it cost, how to replace it ... it's everywhere. I created the attached PDF to make it easier on the next person.

Remember ... not an expert ... just someone who successfully replaced the Transmission Range Sensor on a 2006 Suzuki Forenza.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF - try this link:
http://bit.ly/ForenzaTRS

Donald
Your post and your PDF was just great.
I may need to adjust mine because my key is not coming out of the steering column and it just came out after moving the shift lever sideways.
After reading your PDF today I found my TRS but before go ahead and try to adjust it I want to be sure that my problem is related with this device.
Can you answer me?
Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Suzuki Forenza Key Stuck

Hello everyone;
I need a help about before replace my TRS
I may need to adjust mine TRS because my key is not coming out of the steering column and it just came out after moving the shift lever sideways.
I found my TRS but before go ahead and try to adjust it I want to be sure that my problem is related with this device.
Can you answer me?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah...I bought an 07 Forenza in Feb, two weeks later...TRS change. Coming to work today, guess what? Check Engine light. Take to Advance. Had three flags;

Car is running cooler than normal - I did switch from natural oil to full on Mobil One Synthetic and a higher end filter. - Status was pending?

Transmission light - Status Pending

Transmission Range Sensor - Causing the CEL to turn on.

Anyone wanna buy an 07 under 100k miles for say 7-8 grand?

Oh yeah, and that special tool? DW260-050 $111 if you buy it. Would rather adjust it manually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
help me please!

I have a 2004 Suzuki Forenza with 95k miles on it. My car started jerking earlier while I was driving... It almost felt as if I was being rear ended. Since the engine light came on, I took it to advanced autoparts and had the codes read. Its currently reading P0700, P0783, P0107, P0128

After much research, im pretty sure I need to replace the transmission range sensor, the map sensor, and the coolant thermostat.

Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me? Is my research correct? Do I need to replace those things?!:huh:

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
TRS Shielding

MikeFKlegin, do you have any pics of your TRS heat shield? I took your advice, and used a very thin sheet of aluminum to shield my TRS from the exhaust fan. But, the CEL popped on just like it always does.
It was a long road, the extreme neglete of my friends made it easier to trouble shoot. The shield iI made was a cardboard duct insulator with reflective linings on booth sides. **** I found it was important to just shield the forward facing side of the module and tranny filter face, the top of the module should be open to encourage cool air from below to be sucked up around the TCM, otherwise you have prepared a baked potatoe. This is not a silver bullet but increases reliability the most. Other things to do:1. Flush out the radiator and use the green stuff. 2. remove the upper radiator support and gently pry the ac condensor and radiator apart, spray and gently brush the road debree clogging you radiator, reassemble. 3. go to a cheap synthetic oil and a good filter, seems like an oxymoron but I get the supper tech SYN at Walmart 17.99 for 5 Quart bottle,works well and at the price of name brandconventional.

*4.replace TCM one last time, I know I said my last one was good without this change but it totaly failed with the first sub-freezing weater. No problems since December. Since then it has been the family gofor logging 8000 miles with no shift problems, My big trip was 14 hours round trip from Minnesota to Nebraska. will send photos when I can find my cameras cable, sorry didn't get back earlier.Just spent 2 weeks in Florida 50 hours round trip.Keep changing your oil at 3000 miles, keepthe best protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have put about 6000 miles on the 07 forenza since fooling around with the heat issues. The heat shield seemed to cure 90% of the problem, no one beat their car like my friends did, syn oil, radiator flush, and cleaning debria from the radiator face seemed to take care of the rest of the problem.

I said I used the old TRS after placing the heat shield, I would recommend replacing it along with installing the heat shield. One month after all the tinkering I did the TRS had a complete failure, couldn't adjust it couldn't zero out the code. replaced it one last time, this was in Minnisota winter weather.

You must not cover the top side of the TRS, air must flow up around it, just block the flow from the fan, I tried wrapping the shielding around it and I guess it was just like a baked potatoe. will post photos later. You will not be impressed but it worked for me. Well again I have put 6000 miles on it with no problems, took a 7 hour road trip from Elk River Min to Omaha Ne last may. Give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Transmission range switch problem- code 700 & 705

I have read so many posts concerning this particular part going bad. Someone mentioned that it cannot be bought online. I wanted to let anyone who needs it know that you can buy it on Ebay. The part number is 37720-86Z01. It can also be called a neutral switch. There should be a recall with all the people that have had this same problem.
Vickie

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, you need to know that I am a computer programmer in the Air Force. I am not a mechanic. However, since I am enlisted in the Air Force, married, 6 kids ... I do a lot of my own work on my cars. :)

My Transmission Range Sensor recently went bad on me. So, I replaced it. However, the information on what to buy, where to get it, how much it cost, how to replace it ... it's everywhere. I created the attached PDF to make it easier on the next person.

Remember ... not an expert ... just someone who successfully replaced the Transmission Range Sensor on a 2006 Suzuki Forenza.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF - try this link:
http://bit.ly/ForenzaTRS

Donald
Thank you so much for the pdf file. It's much appreciated. I can't afford to take it to a dealer right now.
Thanks,
Vickie

·
Registered
6 Posts
As many people that have this problem suzuki says they dont have record of any complaints so anyone who has or has had this problem call suzuki and report the problem so they will do a recall and fix their mess up 1-800-934-0934 it is the transmission range selector and happens on all 2006 suzuki forenzas :mad:
I have a 2007 and have the same problem. I am going to call the number. Hopefully they do a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Minor adjustment required

I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this, but after installing the new TRS the car still "clunked" into drive. I had followed previous instructions of centering the bolts in the oval bolt holes. So I loosened the top and bottom bolts and turned the TRS slightly clockwise (turned the top toward the front of the car), tightend the TRS and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps others!

Thanks for all the good info. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 Forenza started getting the jerky transmission a few days ago and the check engine light came on. I have a code reader and it showed a MAP sensor error (P0107), which isn't what I was expecting. I thought for sure it would be the TRS module. The next day, the jerky transmission issue disappeared, but I took it to the dealership and they said it could be the MAP sensor that caused that jerky feeling. Anyway, they're replacing the MAP sensor and the timing belt (which I was overdue for). Something tells me that a TRS sensor is in my near future though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Replaced the TRS in our '06 Forenza last night. The original failed at about 80,000 miles and the trans started acting up at 116,000, so I put a new one on last night. It still is acting up, it clunks hard on upshifts, starts from stop in 3rd gear, and shifts hard into 4th. This time however, if the trans is put into "3rd" instead of "D", it works OK but freeway driving is a bit busy...

Shifting into "D" will start the "acting up" and the one noticeable difference from the original failure at 80K is the dash read out isn't showing the weird characters, "P-N-R-D-3-2-1" are all clearly visible. The 1st TRS was replaced at a transmission shop, my son and I put this one in, adjusting it by sight. The mounting bolts were centered in the slots when I saw that the dash read out was working correctly. Should I play with the adjustment or should I take the car to a trans shop, which we do not have the $$$ for?:(:confused:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Before taking it into the shop why not play with the adjustment a touch. Don't think you can hurt anything and it might just save you some money. Maybe mark where the bolts are now just in case so you know where to put the assembly back to if it gets worse. Let us know what happens

101 - 120 of 134 Posts