Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, you need to know that I am a computer programmer in the Air Force. I am not a mechanic. However, since I am enlisted in the Air Force, married, 6 kids ... I do a lot of my own work on my cars. :)

My Transmission Range Sensor recently went bad on me. So, I replaced it. However, the information on what to buy, where to get it, how much it cost, how to replace it ... it's everywhere. I created the attached PDF to make it easier on the next person.

Remember ... not an expert ... just someone who successfully replaced the Transmission Range Sensor on a 2006 Suzuki Forenza.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF - try this link:
http://bit.ly/ForenzaTRS

Donald

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Range Sensor

I installed a new TRS on my 06 Forenza yesterday following your directions and it worked out great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the write up it's very straight forward. At least now I know what that part looks like. My 07 Forenza started showing signs of this issue for about a week now. Funny thing is if turn the car off, place the tranny back in park, then start the car after a few seconds the issue goes away for a day or two. Time to replace it before the anything else goes wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JimmyZ89 ... the symptoms you list there are common when the TRA is going bad. It will continue to be working and then not working. Sometimes, it will not reset just by turning it off and back on. Sometimes, it will need to sit longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Being that it's an eletrical issue, if you turn the car off completely, I've notice, even the head light and your foot off the brake and then turn the car back on it works good for the rest of the ride or sometimes for a few minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ginny1214 - Stuck in Park

Just changed mine, with so much hard effort! It was extremely hard to get it off with the hose on, either way, car doesn't THUNK when shifted but won't shift out of park now :confused:
Any Ideas? I was really trying to not rely on taking it to Suzuki and paying an arm and a leg for it!
I found this post in the forum about being stuck in park. There are a few links to other places. Maybe some of these can help.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-forenza-reno-forum/34163-2007-forenza-will-not-go-out.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 suzuki forenza range selector

As many people that have this problem suzuki says they dont have record of any complaints so anyone who has or has had this problem call suzuki and report the problem so they will do a recall and fix their mess up 1-800-934-0934 it is the transmission range selector and happens on all 2006 suzuki forenzas :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay... woman here... I am comfortable working on my own car. Does anyone really KNOW if this is covered on the 100,000 part of our warranty? I have a family mechanic & if I get the part he can change it for me. I will call the ## posted above and report it because, quite frankly, it seems very common. I have 53,000-ish on my '06. I HATE paying a dealership for anything but parts. All this information has already saved me time and effort;)... I look forward to more info & will also post anything I come up with.
The transmition range sensor is not covered for the 100,000

·
Registered
3 Posts
07 Forenza Range sensor issues

I have an 07 Forenza that I payed the $95 for the dealer diagnostic check telling me it needed the Transmission range sensor. I payed $65 for the part and installed it. Now it is having simillar problems is not driveable. It works ok in all gears except Drive. If I hold back slightly on the shifter it will stay in drive but as soon as I release it the car chugs and I get a D with a line through the middle. I think I will pull the part again and try another Range sensor. (might be defective)

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the future, Autozone will pull a code for you for free. I cant believe the dealer charged 95 bucks for this. It takes 10 secs. When I went there to have em pull my code guess what was sitting next to me wanting the same thing. 07 forenza.. RECALL!!! HELLOO SUZUKI!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks alot ! I had trouble with the install on the 1st one. The grooved portion was not aligned correctly. ( make sure the flat side inside the new part aligns with the flat side of the shifting post) The part was under warranty for 1 year and they replaced the part with no questions. I put the new one in (1/2 hr) . Runs great ! Part cost $65. The dealership wanted $394

·
Registered
3 Posts
There should have been a small slide on U shaped clip holding the flexible shift cable onto the shaft that portrudes through the sensor. If the replacement sensor was very difficult to slide on you might need to slightly file off sharp factory corners on the shaft portion prior to putting on the sensor. It should slide on without too much force. Make sure you have the proper alignment with the shaft ( one side is flat like an appliance knob ) if it is installed incorrectly it will do what you are describing. If you lost the clip you should be able to pick up a new one at autozone or Napa. If the sensor was installed incorrectly and damaged the grooves, just exchange it for a new one. There is a one year warranty on the part and they will replace it up to 3 times.
I hope this helps !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I may have slightly misaligned the part, hopefully it will not be damaged as I had to drive 150km to get it and it was the only one. I wonder if they would exchange it locally and bring the part in from another dealer instead of direct order from the factory?

Local GM dealer also told me it was on backorder from the US so it might be awhile.

I assume the Suzuki is the same as the GM part?

Are you in Canada Scaldwel? Are you working with the GM or the Suzuki version of this car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need a bit of help please!

Did this repair today on my '06 Optra5 and my when I shift from park down to reverse or from reverse down to drive i have to go one position below with the shifter and then back up to the gear I want otherwise the car does the "flashing don't know which gear you want thing".

I didn't see any clip when i took of the bolts just a nut in the center and two bolts. Did I miss something when putting it back together, or do I need to adjust the shifter cable or something along those lines?

Did I maybe not get the shifter cable on the shaft far enough?

To be clear it is no longer throwing the codes, just getting "confused" for a second.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.
I just slapped on the new part and mine is doing the exact same thing. If you look at the old part notice the holes where the two bolts hold the part on are oblong shaped, not round, so when the bolts are loose there is a small amount of play, if you push it as far as it goes towards the back of the car, the problem gets worse, then if you pull it all the was towards the front of the car it seems to get better, but not perfect. I just wonder if there is a sweet spot that has to be found. I will continue to try to find it.

Hopes this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I attempted this as well. I've had mine off and back on but it is still doing the same thing. Based on the markings on the "flat spot" it seems i've misaligned by a spline or two.

I may yet try to fit it again since i didn't see any damaged to the actual teeth. I'm not sure how to get it on exactly correct though. I'm putting it on in 1st gear, maybe I will try to put it on in Park instead. Might have a better view of the flat spot on the shaft that way.

Hi chrismay try this. It seems to have worked for me

With the part off, take a crescent wrench and see the flat edge at the end of the spline, turn the spline towards the front of the car to make sure it's in park, it turn really easy, trust me.

Then when you put the part on and put the two bolts back in but not tight, then turn the part until you get the top bolt to fall in the exact center of the bolt hole it went through, making sure not to move the part, tighten the top bolt then the bottom bolt. I did this and now it shifts properly without any issues.

Notice what I wrote in my first post on the previous page!!

Im going to go test_drive it to make sure it's working??!!??

Hope it helps,
William Wright

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I will try to seat it properly one more time today. if I don't get it or if it is still acting funny i will try to return the part under warranty.

Only problem with that is finding another one isn't going to be easy and I don't have a second vehicle to do the driving with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi,

this is kind of a repost, i started a separate thread about it - but this seems pretty active, so i'm posting here, too. has anyone had or needed to have a TRS replaced without seeing the CEL? my symptoms seem to point to this needing replacement, but the dealer is hesitant to do it. is there any way to force the dealer to replace it? is it worth it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removed and installed one more time. Got it right this time.

I would DEFINITELY recommend doing the install with the car in park. This greatly improves visibility of the flat spot on the shaft and your ability to line everything up properly.

Thanks to the original poster for the instructions document. Would have been much more painful without it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CryingMime - the dealer will do anything you tell them if you pay for it.

I am under the impression that this is not covered under any warranty, so you would be paying for it anyway.

If the dealer is that hesitant maybe you should get a second opinion from another dealer. Mine told me the fix for this problem was the TCM at $1000 installed, glad I went with my gut and did more research.
i just called the dealer - they now told me (i just had it in there <100 miles ago) that it's been caused by a radiator leak and a transmission fluid leak. i was under the impression a leaking radiator would make the car overheat with the air on (and i drove it for over an hour straight on friday in 95 degree weather with the air blasting), and that a transmission that shifted hard was not due to leaking fluid - that it would just sieze.

i swear, this dealer just keeps changing their story. oh, and i suggested the TRS, they just said "nope, that's not it"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suzuki Forenza issues

I am having the same problem right now on my 2007 Suzuki Forenza. Thank you so much for the PDF...I'm going to try it! I can get the Part from the dealer only of course, for $60. I know a lot of mechanics, and it looks pretty easy. If this fixes it? Getting rid of the car!!! Have read WAY too many blogs on the troubles with these cars.:(

First, you need to know that I am a computer programmer in the Air Force. I am not a mechanic. However, since I am enlisted in the Air Force, married, 6 kids ... I do a lot of my own work on my cars. :)

My Transmission Range Sensor recently went bad on me. So, I replaced it. However, the information on what to buy, where to get it, how much it cost, how to replace it ... it's everywhere. I created the attached PDF to make it easier on the next person.

Remember ... not an expert ... just someone who successfully replaced the Transmission Range Sensor on a 2006 Suzuki Forenza.

Donald

1 - 20 of 134 Posts