Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas why my transmission would be noisy in 1, 2, 3 and 5 but totally quite in 4th ????? thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
A trans just takes an input speed and changes the output speed. Gears 1-3 lower that input speed while 5th speeds it up. These trans units are straight through in 4th. The gears inside aren't actually doing much at that point.

I would first check your trans oil and see if there is any shiney metal in it. This may be a hint for a rebuild. You can do it yourself with only a few extra tools. Do a search here and you will find the rebuild article that will take you step by step. Also go to .:Suzuki Download Archive:. and download the factory service manual to get exact specs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it apart for inspection when i did the Clutch, everything looked good. I know nothing about the prior history. the syncro's looked to be fairly new and well as the input shaft bearing so someone had been in it. Just wondering if that noisy condition would lead to a specific bearing??? Also many of the kits don't sell the bushing and needle bearings ???? should I order them for installation at rebuild or are they not a big wear item ???? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I usually replace all bearings (including needle bearings) and synchros when I do a rebuild. Experiance has taught me that it really sucks to go back into a case to fix a 'budget' rebuild.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I am familiar with transmission work, I don't know much about the Samurai trans. Is is common to have bearing noise in 1,2,3 and 5 and little or no noise in 4th. I still have the boot of the floor pan so Road/Trans noise is easy to hear, although it does seem excessive? Also is there any trick to replacing the brass/copper shaft bushing??? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On page 13-9 in the Suzuki Service Manual Fig 13-17 Shows removing a Bushing with a Press. On the Low Range Off Road web site they sell a "Rear Tail Shaft Bushing" I was wondering if this presents any problems when replacing.... it does not come in the rebuild kits is it a high wear item? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The bushing you pointed out came off quite easily. I don't remember if I used a pair of flat tipped screwdrivers to slip it off or not, but I definately didn't need a press like the FSM shows.
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts