Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Suzuki swift manual transmission. I'm having problems finding replacement transmissions for it due to mine going bad. Is there any other transmissions out there that would fit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Meaning i have reverse but when i go to put it into gear i hear a grinding noise. I just replaced clutch tie rod inner and outter and ball joint/control arm. And yes i put the clutch in correctly ive done 6-7 clutches in my other cars.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
check clutch is disengaging fully. Sounds like somethings binding and not releasing. Which rods did you replace? This concerns me if you changed a clutch slave or master cyl rod as the master cyl ones usually require adjustment for correct operation.
What motor in your one? theres several different ones out there, and the clutches interchange, but not all work properly.
Reverse will engage semi easily if the clutch is binding, but the forward gears wont.
Is it doing it at idle when trying to select all forward gears?
What does it do if you try to start it in low gear? does it feel like it tries to move forward as its cranking? once you have done this, whats it like driving? if clutch is binding, upshifts should be ok ish, and downshifts will grind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have a 4 cylinder. I did not change out master slave cylinder rod just the clutch. When it comes to the engine componets. And no noise when i am in netural and no in gear. Yes I have tried starting it out in a lower gear a once to move forward then sounds as if the throw out bearing is sticking against the pressure plate. I've taken the clutch assembly apart meaning the pressure plate clutch Plate and throw out bearing. Reverse works fine. I cannot seem to move more than about 10' before sound of throw out bearing against pressure plate occurs. Then i loose all forward momentum. How can i fix this issue?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue with something. Either the throw out bearing is jamming, the release fork pivot is cracked (you did check the socket for cracks?) Or you have a hydraulic issue preventing the bearing retracting fully. Or you have the wrong clutch for the car. There are several 4 cyl engines in the swift, which one is yours? 1.3? 1.5? 1.3 diesel? The clutches interchange between the 1.3 and 1.5 but wont work in the other engine as they are different pressure plate heights. Both are 190mm 18 spline from memory but have different pressure plates.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Next time you have it open check the clearance of the pilot bearing (in centre of fly wheel..)

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Next time you have it open check the clearance of the pilot bearing (in centre of fly wheel..)
good point, I forgot about a burred or out of shape spigot bearing

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
So I have a 4 cylinder. I did not change out master slave cylinder rod just the clutch. When it comes to the engine componets. And no noise when i am in netural and no in gear. Yes I have tried starting it out in a lower gear a once to move forward then sounds as if the throw out bearing is sticking against the pressure plate. I've taken the clutch assembly apart meaning the pressure plate clutch Plate and throw out bearing. Reverse works fine. I cannot seem to move more than about 10' before sound of throw out bearing against pressure plate occurs. Then i loose all forward momentum. How can i fix this issue?
What "master slave cylinder rod" are you talking about? As far as I know a 99 Swift does not have a hydraulic clutch, it's cable operated.

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
I find several things about this discussion puzzling - and not just why a person who has supposedly replaced several clutches on other vehicles is confused as to the type of clutch operating mechanism.

As far as I can tell, the vehicle goes into reverse and can be reversed with little or no issue - the problems occur when an attempt is made to move it forward - am I mistaken in that? Would/should that not rule out the clutch as the issue? Is it safe to assume that you have reversed more than the 10 feet that you cannot move forward?

In theory if you can move the car backwards but not forwards, the problem would be internal to the transmission - but - since reverse gear typically uses first gear with an idler - the gear train involved in moving the vehicle forward would need to be functional.

Should we be focusing on gear shift/selector hub mechanisms and not the clutch?

Did this problem exist before you replaced the clutch - is it possible that the shift linkage has been damaged during removal & replacement of the transmission.

One last thing - in my experience, with a dragging clutch, it is reverse that gives trouble to engage, the forward gears, because they are synchronized will usually slip in with little or no grinding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts