Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the transmission out the other day to replace the clutch and all, while out I noticed the plug I circled in the attached photo. I thought it was the check/fill plug but I guess I was wrong. It's rubber and pulls right out. Anyone know what this guy is?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
It plugs the access/machining hole for the shift rail detent balls and springs. Keeps the water and crap out of your gear box. If its missing, you can fill it (not too much) with silicone sealant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah.... so, if I mistook that for the fill/check plug and pumped my gear oil in there... how much trouble am I in?

I was 13.5 hours into my first trans drop & clutch replacement (solo), got a little confused.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ah.... so, if I mistook that for the fill/check plug and pumped my gear oil in there... how much trouble am I in?
Well. . . . Its not real good to have that much oil in there. Most likely, it'll foam out the vent on top of the tranmission and push out that plug you were wondering about (best case scenerio), or, it'll do that and blow the seals out the front input and rear output shafts. Either way, it'll make a real mess under there.:p Pull the "real" fill plug and drain the level to where its supposed to be. The fill plug is on the rear of the transmission, on the back of the extension housing. Its either a square drive plug, or, a large hex head, depending on the year. There is also a drain plug on the bottom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn. Rookie mistake. Draining from the level/fill plug (which I correctly identified today, duh haha) will also drain out the shift rail area, right?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Damn. Rookie mistake. Draining from the level/fill plug (which I correctly identified today, duh haha) will also drain out the shift rail area, right?
Yup, you'll be good to go.
Hey, you caught it before anything catastrophic occured, so, no one will ever know.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts