Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just purchased a 1996 Geo tracker 4 door 4 wheel drive Automatic and was told a newer transmission was put it, approximately year 2000. After fixing a fuel issue it did start as was told and therefore shifted as was told which was in reverse and drive only which is basically 1st gear. It does not shift out of 1st when speeding up whether shifting manually or in drive. I was told the transmission "looked identical " but when they put it in this is what happened. I was wondering what remedies there might be for this transmission if any, and if not, what year transmission would I need to look for that would be plug and play? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
At which point in this saga do you come in? You've just acquired this vehicle but it's unclear as to what your experiences with it are - my concern comes because your repeated use of the phrase "as was told" creates doubts as to what is actually happening.

Unless I'm mistaken, a four door '96 should have an 03-72LE transmission (three speed + overdrive, commonly referred to as four speed), which should be similar if not identical to the transmission used on the later models, similar to the point where I expect it to interchange and work, so if it's not working the next step would be to determine why.

A couple of points ...

- first - the transmission, when in the forward gears, is electronically shifted - Park/Reverse/Neutral/Forward is selected by the shift cable - if the selector is placed in D, the transmission control module will select one of the forward gears as necessary by energizing/de-energizing the shift solenoids..

- second - you should be able to run diagnostics on the transmission control module and get it to tell you where it thinks the problem is - if it's not seeing a particular sensor, or a particular shift solenoid.

- third - if the transmission control module is disconnected, the shift lever can be used to manually select gears - I believe D will give you third gear, 2 will give you second & L will get you first.

In your post you say it "shifted as was told which was in reverse and drive only which is basically first gear" - where was the shift lever at the point" in D or in L?

If you can unplug the transmission controller and drive the vehicle shifting manually through the gears, you can consider the transmission as "possibly useable" - and then try to troubleshoot the not shifting issue - which could be the transmission control module, the wiring or a solenoid/sensor issue. If you cannot manually select gears with the transmission controller disconnected, the problem is in internal to the transmission, and you might need to seek help elsewhere.

You should be able to find documentation on the 96 Trackers over at Ack's FAQ, I'm not certain if it's the two door or four door.

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hello, just purchased a 1996 Geo tracker 4 door 4 wheel drive Automatic and was told a newer transmission was put it, approximately year 2000. After fixing a fuel issue it did start as was told and therefore shifted as was told which was in reverse and drive only which is basically 1st gear. It does not shift out of 1st when speeding up whether shifting manually or in drive. I was told the transmission "looked identical " but when they put it in this is what happened. I was wondering what remedies there might be for this transmission if any, and if not, what year transmission would I need to look for that would be plug and play? Thanks in advance!
I sent you a PM of another site to ask your question.
B95

·
Super Moderator
25,129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just wondering is your O/D light on, on the dash, when the engine is running? Fordem’s suggestion above is a good one, in order to determine if your problem is with the electronic computer, or internal to the transmission. Disconnect the transmission computer connector. You should now have a 3 speed transmission, where you can shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd manually. If you are able to do this, then your problem lies with the computer.

Reactions: Bear95
1 - 4 of 4 Posts