Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Sidekick Sport 1.8L Automatic 4x4

2 weeks ago I took off from a red light and my Sidekick didn't shift on it's own. There were no grinding noises, no winding, nothing at all, it simply stopped shifting. No lights on the dash came on.
I can drive but I have to keep it in "2" and not go over 30 at most. In "D" mode it stuck in 1st gear.
Now, few days ago I tried D mode again and the everything worked fine. Then came out from a store, drove away and the problem was back. It's now just doing it whenever it wants to.
All my fluids are fine, filter is good etc.
Could it be a sensor???
I tried google but I cant find any info.
Can someone please tell me what it may possibly be?
Oh yeah the code read "Speed Sensor" but they said that could be because my speedometer don't work, has not worked for years though.
If it's a sensor where's it located/look like?
Thank you.:)

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
I believe that the tranny computer and the ECU may still be separate in your car. Maybe. If not, I believe that the tranny portion of a PCM (where the ECU and tranny computer are in one housing) would still have a separate connector that can be disconnected on its own). Your car is the 4 speed tranny, and is shifted electronically. You can try to disconnect the tranny computer/connector and shift manually (so that you will have to use the shift lever to go from 1 to 2, etc.) and see if the car actually shifts into all gears. If it does, then the problem is electronic and possibly with one of the tranny computer solenoids. If not, then your problem would be mechanical to the tranny. Of course, a question would be if you have checked the tranny fluid....
Some info here to give you a bit of background, but note that this info is not specific for the Sport, which basically is a different car, and not too well supported for information:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki...cker/84969-1997-geo-tracker-4-speed-wont.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bex.
Yes it still shifts if I start in 'D', I can manually shift it to '2' and it shifts smooth. Problem is that once it's in 2nd gear it wont shift to 3rd or 4th. And it kind of has a mind of it's own, meaning every now and then the car will shift fine but then go into 'limp mode' where it wont shift.

I'm thinking it's the A/T Solenoid but find it weird that it sometimes works and sometimes don't. Usually if something electrical is bad, its bad and doesn't work at all.

I'm going to get a chiltons repair manual to find out where this solenoid is located, I cant find a diagram anywhere on how to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Use the Chilton's manual with extreme caution, as Chilton's and Haynes tend to have misinformation.
If the problem is intermittent, it might suggest a wiring issue, rather than the solenoid itself.

Edit: The info over on ACKS FAQS for the 4 speed tranny may be more helpful. This, however, will be for the 96 Tracker, where the TCM will be a separate unit, however, the solenoid issues may be similar.
Ack's FAQ Tracker Factory Service Manual Automatic and Manual Transmission On Vehicle Service

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.