Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
How do you check the transmission fluid levels in a 2007 suzuki XL7?
The dipstick - if you want to call it that, is down down down on the front of the transmission. It has a yeollow handle on it. You have to unscrew a 10mm bolt first that locks it in place, and then pull the stick out. The dipstick is maybe 8" long at best. It is very hard to see it but if you feel around a bit you'll find it.

Unless you have a leak the level is msot likely good. If it's never been serviced I recommend doing that. It takes the same Mobil1/Suzuki AT-O synthetic ATF in the white tin can at your dealership. I believe it is 3.1 liters you will need. You just drain it from the bottom plug and fill it through the dipstick hole. You will either need a long flex funnel or a transfer pump and fill it from under the car. (If you can't find the dipstick you will be able to easily see it under the vehicle).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I looked all over trying to find the transmission dipstick. I only have 14,000 miles on my XL7, do I still need to get it serviced?

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is great info. The tranny fluid is the only one I haven't been able to replace at 30k. Will do when I get home.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I printed off the picture of where the dipstick is. Maybe it'll help reference where to look and feel.

From the 2007 manual. 2008 is the same...it is slightly different position for 2009 with the 6 speed transmission.

·
Registered
365 Posts
With Jeff's information I was able to change the XL7 transmission oil. I used ramps to tilt the SUV and drain the most oil possible.

The bolt retaining my dipstick was a 12mm one and the drain plug is 24mm.

I marked the drain plug to make it easier to identify in the future.

Before you drain the oil, make sure you can remove the dipstick and your funnel will reach the filling hole. you don't want to drain your transmission and not be able to fill it!

The funnel I used has a hose that hardly reached. I had to remove the engine plastic cover (slightly pull and remove the engine oil filling plug) to get it to reach.

It took me 4 quarts, I checked how much I drained and added the same amount back, then warmed up the transmission by driving a few miles, came back to the garage and inside where it's level, I checked the dipstick as per the instructions.

This last check is very hard to do because everything is HOT! so wear leather gloves or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2007 XL7 Transmission Fluid Type

I noticed that reading this forum and the manual that the transmission takes GM T/IV Transmission Fluid. Can anyone tell me if there are equivalent replacements that may be better/worst of if the GM product is the only acceptable fluid. I think I read somewhere that Mobil 3317 is also acceptable. What about products from Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc? Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Any T/IV compatible fluid will do. I used Royal Purple TMax ($12 per quart) but its fully synthetic.

You can see in the picture a sample of oil after 31k extremely well cared for miles vs. new.

To me it doesn't really look that bad but I have never towed anything and remember, this oil is supposed to last for the life of the vehicle. This coming from the same guys that told us that we should change our engine oil according to the on board monitor, and we all know how that worked out!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can see in the picture a sample of oil after 31k extremely well cared for miles vs. new.

To me it doesn't really look that bad but I have never towed anything and remember, this oil is supposed to last for the life of the vehicle. This coming from the same guys that told us that we should change our engine oil according to the on board monitor, and we all know how that worked out!
My manual states to change the tranny fluid at 50K for severe conditions or 100K under normal conditions. No where does it indicate lifetime.

That said, I've had the trans fluid on my Dodge Caravan changed every 40K per dealer recommendation (that's more frequent than the book says). What I don't get is both the dealer and Firestone charged me over $100 each for a transmission flush. Just yesterday I received a val-pak coupon in the mail for a local shop that says $9.99 for a transmission fluid change (no flush), including fluid! Maybe there are hidden fees with that, but both other service shops charged over $50 for the fluid alone. I'm sure the quality of this local shop's trans fluid isn't top quality, but when my XL7 needs a transmission fluid change next time, it will be worth it to me to buy my own Royal Purple or the like and let a shop like this change it for me if they will do it for $10.

Car repairs is such a crap-shoot! I've always been able to change my own oil, but think I'll start to learn to do a few other things as well. Might even brave the tranny change when it comes to it. Think I'll do it about 50-60K on the XL7.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Can you tell me how many quarts I will need for a complete tranny drain? Also, is it worth getting it flushed?
For fluid amount, says 3.3 QT according to the spec sheet above. But Goater indicated he put in 4QT. Seems to make more sense to put in what you take out, and check the dipstick after you are all done to ensure levels in a safe operating range.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My manual states to change the tranny fluid at 50K for severe conditions or 100K under normal conditions. No where does it indicate lifetime.

That said, I've had the trans fluid on my Dodge Caravan changed every 40K per dealer recommendation (that's more frequent than the book says). What I don't get is both the dealer and Firestone charged me over $100 each for a transmission flush. Just yesterday I received a val-pak coupon in the mail for a local shop that says $9.99 for a transmission fluid change (no flush), including fluid! Maybe there are hidden fees with that, but both other service shops charged over $50 for the fluid alone. I'm sure the quality of this local shop's trans fluid isn't top quality, but when my XL7 needs a transmission fluid change next time, it will be worth it to me to buy my own Royal Purple or the like and let a shop like this change it for me if they will do it for $10.

Car repairs is such a crap-shoot! I've always been able to change my own oil, but think I'll start to learn to do a few other things as well. Might even brave the tranny change when it comes to it. Think I'll do it about 50-60K on the XL7.
I'm sorry but I talked out of my ass there, I checked the manual and yeamac is correct, 50k severe / 100k normal, very clear. I will go 50k on my next change knowing that there is quality fluid in it now.

$10 for a trans fluid change is too good to be true! I do it myself because I have all the tools necesary in my garage (and a Harbor Freight just opened in my town!!)

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $1.00
Total: $21.00

============================================================
Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by liquor store and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open first beer and drink it, to assess the situation.

4) Plan to jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands behind garden hoses, rakes and assorted crap. Jack up vehicle.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process, cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.

18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of storing it for recycling.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to grocery store to buy 3.2 beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface. (Note that the filter companies tell you to do this just to ensure that the GASKET is actually there...)

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt into hole. Steal sand from kids' sandbox to cleverly cover oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas over a bad patch of lawn.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

30) Drink beer.

31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

36) More beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Call loving wife, she makes bail.

50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total - - $4,165.00

But you know the job was done right!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the write up on this guys it helped alot. My 07 xl7 took 4qts as well. I had ramps under the driver side front and rear wheels and let it drain over night and then put back in new what came out. The T-IV fluid was about 10 bucks a qt here but I have had a HUGE reduction in the overall noise level when driving. The old fluid didn't smell burnt but it was really dark. I plan on doing another drain and refill next weekend to try and get a little more thru.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeamac, not very many my friend not very many. 38000km on it so far and its been well taken care of and no towing or hauling :(.
I would almost venture a guess and say mine didn't have T-IV fluid in it from the factory.

On the up side though the fluid change is fairly easy and its an asian tranny so if their anything like the asian's in the old samurai's their tough as nails .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Filter

How about the tranny filter, is there one and does it need to be changed at the same time as the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trans fluid changed - THANKS!

Thanks to everyone who posted info here. Succesfully changed my tranny fluid today. The hardest part was finding the silly dipstcik. Cost me $35 CDN and saved me $126 over a shops fee. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before I did my trans oil change, I called my local AAMCOTransmission shop and they told me straight forward oil change because my 08 XL7 had no accesible filter to deal with!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having trouble finding the transmission dipstick on my 07 xl7. Does anyone have a picture of it still on the car? Also is it by driver or passenger side and closer to windshield or headlight?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts