Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just wanted to lay out a bit of information I got from the research I’ve done.
I’m looking to drain and fill my transmission fluid on my automatic 1.8L Esteem GLX Wagon... I’ve searched things a bit and this is what I’ve gotten...

-Drain and Fill is the best and most suggested way to change the fluid. (Not flush)
- There is around 5-6 liters of ATF fluid inside the automatic transmission(?), but when you drain and fill. You will only drain 2.6-3.0 liters of fluid. So it’s suggested to drain and fill at least 2-3 times. Run the vehicle a bit and drain and fill 2 times at least. (Based on the research I’ve done) Is that generally correct?

- Dexron III ATF - I was looking into using ACDelco’s Dexron III, right now though I only have Valvoline MaxLife ATF Multi Vehicle fluid and I’m considering running this fluid first to condition the seals. I will eventually run Amzoil ATF Multi Vehicle fluid in it.

- The Automatic Tranimission has a wire mesh filter that requires disassembly of the automatic Transmission to access it. It’s also considered non-serviceable part.

- My ATF fluid looks Orange/Red/and Brown. In general, in high mileage vehicle - if your ATF fluid is Black and Gunky... it’s probably NOT a good idea to drain it and fill as it will probably uncover issues in your transmission that have been hidden because of the friction your fluid now has.
Seems to me that even at 198k miles at which I purchase this vehicle... it still was getting transmission fluid changes. The transmission has no issues other than some mounts being almost completely shot and shifts sometimes seeming a bit rough.

Would you guys go with the newer Multi-Vehicle/Full synthetic ATF or would you go with just plain old Dexron III from ACDelcoWhat other choices are there for Dexron III that are still in the market?

The backwards compatibility with these new fluids is totally great. I just don’t want to end up choosing a fluid that ends up causing issues.

Long post, but maybe it helps a few people.

Best,

YettiEsteem8
2000 Suzuki Esteem 1.8 GLX Wagon 202,000 miles

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
use the fluid thats in it. as in if it has dex3 in it, refill with dex 3 as a lot of the newer fluids dislodge built up sludge in the valve body leading to blockages and shifting issues.

if changing the fluid, drop the pan and change the filter screen. refil, 200 miles, change fluid if itts still dark, if itts still same as new, leave it alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts