Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
You really need to be a little more informative - what vehicle, what's been done to the vehicle/transfer case, when does it whine.

First - some degree of noise is normal, and is masked by insulation over the transmission tunnel and under the carpet, so if this insulation (along with the carpet) normal noise will be more audible - the same thing will happen if the rubber boots etc that seal the shift levers to the tunnel are missing.

Abnormal noises can be caused by worn bearings and/or gears, low lubricants levels and even some replacement gear sets, if lower gears have been installed, and I believe I have seen some after market transfer case mount manufacturers advocating the use of "solid" mounts, which will certainly transfer noide to a greater degree.

If you're getting a whine from a stock transfer case on a stock vehicle, it'll most likely be worn bearings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a standard suzuki MG 413. I replaced all the bearings and also the counter shaft. It whine in all the gears even in neutral while going down hill.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
MG413 - I'm not familiar with that, but from the number I would guess at a Maruti Gypsy - what condition were the gears in when you replaced the bearings? Was there any evidence of pitting or spalling in the teeth? Damaged gears can also be noisy.

Are you sure it's a transfer case whine & not a differential whine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts